well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Should Pelosi Visit Taiwan?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should Pelosi Visit Taiwan?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01...wan-visit/index.html

The CCP has been sable rattling a lot and warning dire military consequences if Speaker Pelosi were to visit Taiwan.

What say you? Do you think Speaker Pelosi should visit Taiwan?

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Beats me.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No, not at this point. Little to gain.

But it's largely up to Pelosi. The US government cannot give orders to her, at least not easily.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
No, not at this point. Little to gain.

But it's largely up to Pelosi. The US government cannot give orders to her, at least not easily.

Also, I don't think she is the sort that takes orders well. Smiler

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From the South China Morning Post. Pompeo?

quote:
In April, Democrat Bob Menendez and Republican Lindsey Graham led a bipartisan group of senators on a visit to Taiwan and met top Taiwanese officials, including President Tsai Ing-wen and Defence Minister Chiu Kuo-cheng.

Mike Pompeo, secretary of state in former US president Donald Trump’s administration, tweeted last Monday that he would join Pelosi on her visit, following his personal visit in March, paid for by an undisclosed Taiwanese body.

https://www.scmp.com/news/chin..._link&pgtype=article

Also...Taiwan is readying its air raid shelters.

https://www.scmp.com/news/chin...raid-shelters-subway

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
She's there ...

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been following the situation closely, but it seems to me that this visit was badly timed, if nothing else.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, I looked into it. She's violating the US one China policy and provoking nuclear war.

I guess you have to find something to do when you can't busy yourself with insider trading scams.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No clue. Why would she do this unless the administration supported it?

I can't make sense of it.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
They do produce some world-renowned tea. Maybe she's into it. Smiler

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
No clue. Why would she do this unless the administration supported it?

I can't make sense of it.

Well, "the administration" clearly does NOT support it, though they weren't willing (for some reason) to go to the mat to get her not to.

I may be wrong, but I make sense of it by invoking the dysfunction of American foreign policy ... i.e. a Congress-critter with a very local or state motive can do something totally reckless from a national perspective because it's a winner when appealing to the relevant 30K people in her district who matter.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pelosi op-ed in WaPo regarding the visit to Taiwan.

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/8222-3

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/0...ent-visit/index.html

Why is the government speaking out of both sides of its mouth?

Why is all this money being being spent on, "the empire" while Americans at home (including a massive number of veterans) suffer grievously?