well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A new theory

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new theory
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
There is no swing voter.

quote:
What if everything you think you know about politics is wrong? What if there aren’t really American swing voters—or not enough, anyway, to pick the next president? What if it doesn’t matter much who the Democratic nominee is? What if there is no such thing as “the center,” and the party in power can govern however it wants for two years, because the results of that first midterm are going to be bad regardless? What if the Democrats' big 41-seat midterm victory in 2018 didn’t happen because candidates focused on health care and kitchen-table issues, but simply because they were running against the party in the White House? What if the outcome in 2020 is pretty much foreordained, too?

To the political scientist Rachel Bitecofer, all of that is almost certainly true, and that has made her one of the most intriguing new figures in political forecasting this year.

https://www.politico.com/news/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Seems rather fatalistic. ROTFLMAO

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it doesn't differ based on whether the POTUS is running for a 2nd term or not. I mean, if both party candidates have no experience in the White House, you may be less likely to vote against the person. When one of the candidates is the sitting POTUS, with history, etc., you might be more likely to vote for/against the person.

Just thinking out loud, I really have no idea.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
One argument Carville rebuts in his salty commentary on Vox that you linked.

I'm the swing voter, BTW, and I know many others just like me. No, that's not a scientific survey... Razzer

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post