well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rocky seas

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rocky seas
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted

Posts: 10565 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Why would a cruise ship be in those waters this time of year? Seems crazy.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The helicopters would hardly be less scary in that weather.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I agree, being hauled into a chopper isn't exactly reassuring.

We keep hearing of awful things that occur during cruises. Have any WTFers gone on cruises, and would you do it again?

(Mr. Nina and I are occasionally tempted by those european river cruises, but not the big ocean-going things.)

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I grew up boating. We had a cabin cruiser. Used to spend days and nights on the Chesapeake Bay. I've got great sea legs and a strong stomach. But i would never get on a cruise ship. Just for starters, I'm a germaphobe. Cruises are notorious for having outbreaks of norovirus. What a nightmare. Plus my idea of a vacation is not being crammed into a small space with hundreds of other people and traveling on a set agenda. So, not for me.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Pay money to go on one of those floating high rises? Never ...

Last time I was in the Caribbean, we saw those things in the harbor. They came, disgorged a few people into town for trinket shopping, and left in the evening for the next destination. They're largely self-contained. Only a handful of people on the ship ever explored beyond a few hundred yards from the harbor. Meanwhile, there are amazing nature parks with mountain hikes and flamingo-filled lakes, fabulous underwater worlds to explore, local hangouts where the natives are chatting in papiamento, relaxing beaches with azure water and reefs a few steps from shore (mostly without rum drinks with silly little paper umbrellas), cliff diving, three hundred foot peaks of pure white sea salt rising from blood red salt pans .... and they see none of it.

Posts: 12520 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Relax, the cruises of the Northwest Passage are already booked.
I get emails promoting cruises like that.
Don't want to be corralled into a boat with a bunch of people. Have been stuck on sailboats. One bad apple can spoil the day.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25689 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like cruises. Very relaxing.

We're going on one to Key West and Cuba in November.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34877 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I went on one Caribbean cruise in the 1970s, and that’s done me up until now.

I might be tempted by an Alaska cruise, having heard good things from folks have done that one. I’m also like Nina, in that sometimes the river cruises sound interesting.

I figure I’ve got another 6 to 12 weeks at least of still being physically active enough to find vacations that I don’t need to stay on a boat for an entire trip. I can see how these things become more attractive as one ages…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I never cared for cruises, but my siblings love them. They're always doing Florida/Caribbean cruises; true snowbirds (except for one sister who lives down there).

I knew a graphic artist who designed brochures for cruise companies, and she insisted there are interesting ones out there. Perhaps there are...

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13792 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It is typical of this type of cruise ship- skyscraper.

Since I have nothing nice to say about it, I will stop talking.

Posts: 24674 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post