well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Invisalign anyone?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invisalign anyone?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Does anyone have any first- or second-hand experience with Invisalign?

My teeth aren’t horrible but aren’t particularly good either. I have crowding in the bottom front that is getting worse over time, leading to occasional chips.

Dentist yesterday said I’d be a good candidate. I’m considering it.

Honestly my biggest hesitation now is how it would affect my coffee habit. On one hand I realize it would be good for me to reduce my intake but on the other hand NFW!!!

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I thought about it briefly, my teeth have never been straight, but they are getting worse as I get older. Problem is, I now have an implant, which isn’t something you want to try to move. I was also told by my dentist that actual braces would be the way to go.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20448 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I have an implant too, which my dentist says doesn’t move, they’d have to work around it. I think it would be ok, because it’s on the top where things are better.

He seems confident they could work with it.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I have zero first- or second-hand experience with invisalign, but my mother had regular braces as an adult (probably before invisalign), she was maybe 40ish? Anyway, same thing, some teeth were moving and I believe that the fact that she did that back then has been of benefit to her now as she's getting older.

So, the idea of adult braces is definitely common and very likely to be helpful.

You might seek out a second opinion from another dentist though??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
My dentist suggested orthodontia last year when I asked about some crowding/turning, and I was going to investigate but other things took precedence as the year went on. I may look into it this year. I’d prefer something like Invisalign; I do a lot of public appearances and don’t want to have regular braces.

Let us know what you find out!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
well, now that you ask ...

I am at the tail end of the process. About 15 months ago my dentist looked at me and said something like, "this isn't about cosmetics any more." I was on track to start losing teeth due to crowding and having one of my lower front teeth pushed out so much. So, I bit the proverbial bullet ...

The process wasn't too bad. They take a full mold of your mouth and a computer program guesses at how best to move your mouth with each new set of braces. Then they put the attachment points on your teeth and off you go. You wear each set of plastic braces for 10-14 days in the beginning, while your mouth gets used to all the movement.

In the initial weeks I had to get used to my teeth hurting a bit after pulling off the braces for meals. But I got used to the feeling of having them on rather quickly. Actually, I find it somewhat comfortable now.

You also tend to get "Invisalign tongue." Your tongue can get little rub spots. Once again, you get used to it, and the mouth tends to be a quick healer.

My teeth moved pretty easily and the results are remarkable. I finished the first 34 plates in about fourteen months. After a checkup, she removed the old attachments. A few weeks later, I got a much smaller set of new attachments (four, I think) and packages with 12 more sets of braces. This is the "tweaking" phase. I wear each set for only a week, and it's a snap (so to speak).

Sometime in March or April, we'll be done. Then I only wear the braces at night, to keep things where they should be. This is where lots of people fall off the wagon. I won't. I'm enough of a rule follower, plus I'm not bothered by wearing the things at night.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D so the whole process will be about 18 months? Or closer to two years? (not including the night retainer thingies)

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
P*D so the whole process will be about 18 months? Or closer to two years? (not including the night retainer thingies)

It's an individualized plan. The number of sets it takes to achieve the final outcome is determined by a lot of things that are specific to that person and their needs. For me, the whole process will have taken something like 18 months.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Thanks PD, I too would bit the bullet and stick with the retainer. I bang my teeth together as I’m falling asleep (no better word for it) so the retainers would help me there too.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
PD - how about drinking fluids?

My biggest worry is my coffee habit. I more or less constantly drink coffee all day. I switch to decaf mid day, and I might have to rewarm a cup several times because I ignore it for 30-40 minutes at a time, but I can always point to my coffee cup if you catch me between 5am and 7pm. It’s a constant companion.

I won’t be able to do that at all with Invisalign. Right? I mean, if I don’t want them to turn yellow right away.

Do you ever drink coffee with them in? I heard someone say even white wine stains them.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
PD - how about drinking fluids?

My biggest worry is my coffee habit. I more or less constantly drink coffee all day. I switch to decaf mid day, and I might have to rewarm a cup several times because I ignore it for 30-40 minutes at a time, but I can always point to my coffee cup if you catch me between 5am and 7pm. It’s a constant companion.

I won’t be able to do that at all with Invisalign. Right? I mean, if I don’t want them to turn yellow right away.

Do you ever drink coffee with them in? I heard someone say even white wine stains them.

Do you care what they look like? If you don't, it doesn't matter if you drink coffee. The liners will turn brownish over time, and then after ten days or so, you change 'em out.

My dentist told me that one of her patients loved green tea. Her braces would turn a bright golden yellow. Quite a smile!

I wouldn't drink stuff with cream/sugar, since that would be a medium for bacterial growth. But black coffee is probably only a cosmetic issue.

I have consumed wine with the braces in, but usually while I'm cooking and just before I take them out anyway to have dinner.

In my experience, the staining is minimal. And I didn't really care much. But I'm not a heavy coffee drinker throughout the day.