well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best Way to Sell an Old Car?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Way to Sell an Old Car?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
I lent my son my old Prius (2007 Model) when he was desperate. He has since returned it to me so that I can sell it. After a good cleaning, it runs like I always remember it...It is my lifetime, all time favorite car, just sayin'. Smiler

It has 3 miles short of 216K miles on it. It will get a once over at Jiffy with oil and fluid changes, check the brakes, and then new floor mats.

All good..but where to do I advertise it? I thought I would start with NextDoor and Craigslist as my city is full of HS kids and new immigrants who drive old cars.

Any other places I should advertise?

It looks like I can get $1800-2,000 for it..just enough to pay for my next hiking vacation in Italy. Smiler

Not to mention getting it off my insurance.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Craigslist.

Take a lot of pictures. Take them at a park. Take a rag or something to drape over the license plate.

Clearly state in the ad whether the price is firm. If it is, people will still offer you half of what you're asking.

Decide up front whether you are going to take people in the order they responded to your ad or in the order they manage to show up. If someone says they are coming and don't show and don't contact you by the time they were supposed to be there, go on to the next person.

If someone says they need to go to the bank, hit up mom, etc., given them a firm deadline to come back with the cash, or you go on to the next person.

In that price range, cash only. The only other way I do it is if they have an account at your bank and you go in together to do an account-to-account transfer. That is the most fraudproof way.

Have the title ready, along with all keys, any maintenance records or anything else that goes with it.

Sit back and wait for the flakes to contact you.

Years ago, I bought a motorcycle. It was $7500. They guy I was buying it from bought it used from a dealer and financed it. When it came time to make the transaction, I looked at the title and saw that there was a lien on it from the finance outfit. The guy acted like it was no big deal. He suggested that I should contact the finance outfit and pay it off and give him the difference. Ummmm... "no". I told him I would buy it once he got the clear title. He wanted the money up front. I said "no". This guy had a BMW and a Lexus, a big fancy house, and all the trappings of someone with plenty o' money. I told him to call me when he had the clear title in hand. Of course it took over two months. After a month, he said he wanted $2000 to hold the bike for me. Again, I said "no". Finally, he called me and said he had the title, and I went over with a bucket of cash and got the bike. Just before I left, I asked him why someone who is obviously well situated would bother with financing a vehicle that was probably $10,000 when he bought it. He looked at me like I had just asked him for a weasel. You get a vehicle, you get a loan. That's just the way it is.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
By the way, if you were any closer, I'd buy it.

Wasn't one of the Sphinxlings looking for a car a while back?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
PJ..thanks..I was thinking all the same things you were...I have clear title...Hand me the cash? You get the title...I will park it on the street at that point till they pick it up.

I am going to start with NextDoor...The neighborhood FB...where everyone knows each other...if no takers after a week, will put it up on Craigslist...then Cars.com after that...

I am pretty sure it will go..gosh the perfect HS kid going to summer job, camp etc...

I am still going to cry when it goes..I have a new to me 2015 Prius that is just not the same...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Good luck, BeeLady!

We have given our old cars to our kids when they graduated college, so we haven’t had to sell one in a long time. And I sold my Honda Odyssey van to my brother before that, so that was also painless.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Good luck, BeeLady!

We have given our old cars to our kids when they graduated college, so we haven’t had to sell one in a long time. And I sold my Honda Odyssey van to my brother before that, so that was also painless.

AM, same here..I always traded in my cars and I had considered donating it..However, I do not qualify for a deduction..So when Middle suggested how much I might get, I am going for it!

Funny my neighbor across the street had changed cars..I recently saw that his old Camry was gone after being in the drive with no plates...So..I thought I would visit him this weekend and get tips on how he sold it..

Till today..on a walk around the block..I found his old car..with new plates in front of another neighbor's house..

The two grew up together from childhood, now both retired..I had noticed they had been visiting each other recently. Hmmm...

Guess he will not be a good research subject! Smiler

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Craigslist is a good way to go.

If your car is the least bit nice, advertise it for 50% more than you think you’ll get for it. You’ll likely get it, and if you get talked down a bit you will still be making money.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
if i really want to get a good price for a car, i get it detailed. even if i only get as much more for the car as it cost to detail it, buyers get much more excited by a clean car and take it as an indication that you always took great care of the car. a detailed car is much easier to sell, in my experience.

also, have every maintenance and repair record on hand to give to the buyer.

a used car buyer will go to a private seller over a dealer because they want to know the history of the car.

i've always had great luck with craigslist. people have traveled long distances to look at my vehicles for sale on CL

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Around here, you have to be careful about Craig’s List. As in, do not get in the car with them for a test drive. Write down their license information and let them go. Do business in front of your house and don’t let anyone in. Have a man with you if possible.

I usually put in the ad that I will show the car at a certain date and time.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
If I recall when I was ready to sell my old car to buy this one, the seller was liable for too much by Ma law. I traded in for that reason.

You might want to check.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If you have a CarMax near you might be worth stopping in and getting their offer. It's free. We've sold several older cars that way. We got quite a bit more than the dealer offered us in trade, though not as much as if we'd sold it privately. But we're chickens and didn't want the hassle/risk

I'm guessing you'll find someone with a local connection and it will sell quickly.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You might also try a local independent repair shop. They may have customers that are looking for a vehicle, and for a small commission they might help broker a deal.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
If I recall when I was ready to sell my old car to buy this one, the seller was liable for too much by Ma law. I traded in for that reason.

You might want to check.

Thanks, LL, I did. I have always traded in my cars for that very reason. But I am exempt as the car has more the 125K miles on it.

I just have to provide the buyer a list of possible problems (which I will have them sign) that way they cannot come back and say.."I didn't know the brakes needed changing!" etc.

Will do the finish detailing and take photos this weekend.

I delayed as it still has a valid dump sticker on it. I did some furniture clean out and used it one last time to declutter the house. Evil

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Good to know, and good for you!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Please check PM. My Brighton son (who really needs a break) is very interested.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post