well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Any advice for using Uber for the first time (in Denver)?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any advice for using Uber for the first time (in Denver)?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
So, I think I may just bite the bullet and try Uber since I have to get from Denver Airport to the middle of downtown Denver, and apparently, that's like a 40 minute car ride, so I'm guessing the taxi fare would be super expensive. I made an account Uber and all that, and their list of airport includes Denver.

Is there anything weird about being a first time user, like it's harder to get someone to pick you up if you don't have any reviews or something like that?

Anything else to be aware of?

Are there any WTFer in Denver? For some reason I'm thinking no? (Unfortunately, I'm going to be in and out of the city in the blink of an eye, so no free time, but)

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Uber is successful as it is because Uber is dead simple and no stress. You’ll be amazed.

Tipping is done on the phone and you’ll get a chance to rate your trip and the driver.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

And they won't skip me because I dont have any rider ratings? For some reason I thought that was a thing?? suave

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
No worry ... when I took Uber and Lyft for the first time, I had no problem at all. I usually prefer properly licensed, properly registered taxicabs, but sometimes I just couldn't get a taxi within reasonable wait time, and that's when I turn to Uber and Lyft.

If you're going to use Uber or Lyft for business travel, create a business traveler profile ahead time (you can do this tight in the app). Then when you hail a ride, indicate that it's a business trip. Doing so will get you a properly formatted receipt fit for expense reporting purposes.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
DIA to Union Station (downtown Denver) on the light rail takes 37 minutes, costs $10.50, and runs every 15 minutes. No changes required. Never used light rail myself, but it works well I've heard. Just another option to consider.

Check it out on http://www3.rtd-denver.com/a-line.shtml

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ax, thanks for the tip, I’ll try the business traveler.

Unless I take Dan’s advice and try the light rail, which I am going to go look at now, thanks Dan!

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Good point! When airport run or city run transportation is available, be it rail or shuttle bus, I usually prefer those to taxicabs.

One more suggestion: if you are going to stay at a hotel, call and ask the hotel what the best way to get to it from the airport is. The hotel can usually tell you what the feasible options are.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The hotel actually suggested Uber or Lyft, they don’t have an airport shuttle. Whatever happened to airport shuttles? Sigh.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
The hotel actually suggested Uber or Lyft, they don’t have an airport shuttle. Whatever happened to airport shuttles? Sigh.

They still exist. We were at Newark the other night, the airport train has a special stop for hotel shuttles. (Which we took after midnight.)

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
ThumbsUp

And they won't skip me because I dont have any rider ratings? For some reason I thought that was a thing?? suave

The only reason they might skip you is if you have a lot of bad ratings.

Noobs welcome!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Sometimes complicated to find the right Uber, and find the place for the Uber pickups at busy airports during peak times. Other than that, we've never had a problem getting a ride!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Uber will also put you in a carpool without your knowledge, which can be a problem at an airport where many people have luggage. We waited for 2x ubers at the Newark airport before bagging it and going with Lyft.

For other reasons (mainly their labor practices) I won't use Uber unless Lyft isn't an option. YMMV.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Does Lyft have better labor practices than Uber?

(P.S. the pool thing is good to know re Uber!)

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Uber will also put you in a carpool without your knowledge, which can be a problem at an airport where many people have luggage. We waited for 2x ubers at the Newark airport before bagging it and going with Lyft.

For other reasons (mainly their labor practices) I won't use Uber unless Lyft isn't an option. YMMV.
I've never used either uber or lyft, mostly due to labor practices and lack of oversight and regulation. But... I'm surprised they don't allow you to opt for a solo ride.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I have used Lyft and been very happy. They usually have a promo where if you are new first time rider, they'll give you your first $20 in rides for free. Dig around on the internet and see if you can find a code. You have to enter it when you install the app. You can tip right on the app and it all gets billed to your credit card. Lyft also regularly sends me deals (like they'll send me an email saying I get 15% off rides til March 30th or something) -- I guess because I am not a frequent user, they are always trying to woo me back. I think Lyft is a definite deal especially with a discount...I'm usually traveling with my family (3 other people) and lyft usually ends up being cheaper than 4 public transportation tickets.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post