well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I am so mad right now! (I'm calmer now)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am so mad right now! (I'm calmer now)
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
Been this way since yesterday afternoon after I learned that my youngest left the house, picked up a friend and went grocery shopping. There was an ambulance in the parking lot of the store, so these two geniuses figure they will drive to the next town (where they have confirmed cases of COVID-19) and just went shopping there.

I had a standing order that nobody leaves the house. FOR ANYTHING! without discussing the whys, and hows, etc.

She just left! I locked the doors and told her when she got home that no plastic bags are to enter the house. That everything she bought will be wiped down with disinfecting wipes before bringing it into the house. She is to head straight to the laundry room and wash her clothes in hot water, then straight into the shower.

Apparently she decided I did not want her back in the house. ( and I really don't, is that terrible?) So she dropped the plastic bags in front of the door and left. That was around 7pm or so last night. The bags sat outside all night until 7:00 am when I went out and disposed of the bags and wiped everything down with disinfectant wipes. There is a very small pile of groceries on our porch now.

A VERY SMALL PILE OF GROCERIES! THAT WE REALLY DIDN'T EVEN NEED! YEAH! THAT WAS WORTH RISKING OUR FVCKING LIVES OVER!!!

Ugh.

I don't know how to get over this. I am still so mad about this.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can understand your anger.

But can I ask a question or two? How old is she? Where is she now? Does she live with you?

Have you talked to her yet?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I understand your anger, too. It's a very human reaction. You're trying to protect your family, and her actions are undermining that effort.

There are adults who don't understand why this virus is a huge threat, and clearly she doesn't either. The only thing you can do is to sit her down and explain why it is essential for her to stay put. If she hasn't seen the doctors in Italy talking about what they are facing, watch those with her.

She's probably never faced anything like this and it's not real to her. You can make it real for her and teach her an important life lesson.

Try to take a deep breath and imagine she's a little one again, and explain the facts of life to her.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try to take a deep breath and imagine she's a little one again, and explain the facts of life to her.

This.

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Yes. I know. I feel guilty for being so angry but I just cannot help it.

4.0 student. When it comes to this kind of crap? No so smart.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We are all struggling with smart practices, because it goes against the way we've lived our lives since we were born. We behave in ways that are habitual, without thinking.

We all need to stop and think each time we do something that we're used to doing, but that's very hard to do.

That said, I'd ask her, when she comes back, to quarantine herself for a week or two.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Think about how you would feel if she gets sick and is all alone out there! nobody else is going to want to deal with her if she gets sick. She’s your kid! Explain to her how frightened you are, how it manifested itself in anger how sorry you are that you got so angry that you love her and ask her to come home, that you will have to figure out together how to isolate her just in case. And whatever you do, don’t make it feel like a punishment!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
For those of us with strong "protector/planning" instincts, this pandemic activates the stress and worst-case scenario behaviors. I feel your pain.

It is hard to realize that we all aren't wired the same, and what feels like safety to one might feel like being a caged animal to others...

Blessings to all of you.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
A young woman alone without a safe place to be faces more risks than a virus.

Let’s not panic.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Think about how you would feel if she gets sick and is all alone out there! nobody else is going to want to deal with her if she gets sick. She’s your kid! Explain to her how frightened you are, how it manifested itself in anger how sorry you are that you got so angry that you love her and ask her to come home, that you will have to figure out together how to isolate her just in case. And whatever you do, don’t make it feel like a punishment!

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What everyone else has already said. Get in contact with her, get her to come home asap.

And then, as Quirt said:

quote:
That said, I'd ask her, when she comes back, to quarantine herself for a week or two.

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I have done all of that.

She is safe. She is at her friend's parents house.

She still thinks she should go to work (extreme part time in retail) and I told her, that it is not worth it. Then she just leaves the freaking house. Frowner

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Modified the title. I am slowly shedding this anger. It gets better with each passing hour.

Think I will go play some music...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Trying to make it real for her, to bring it closer to home...

Did you tell her that the more people mix with each other, the more people will be sick? And that the hospitals will be flooded with COVID-19 patients? And that if her grandma or mom had something non-COVID happen, there might not be room for them in the hospital? Might that get her attention?

Just a thought....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My daughter is in grad school. She works at costco on the weekends, so she can have less student debt. She needs that job, (and it needs her) so she still goes so work. Riding public transportation there and back.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post