well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Starting seeds

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting seeds
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Does anyone still start seeds in the basement?

I don’t have room for many plants but it sounds like it might be fun.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Sometimes. I got some LED grow lamps, too.

I don't have much room now, but I have some trays and use either perlite or moss/dirt seed starting mix.

Just keep them moist -- not wet, not dry.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I do round about January. But I don't use the basement, I have them in old take out trays on the windowsills in my sunroom.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Windowsills would be my choice. Grow lights use a lot of electricity.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not a winter seed starter here. I buy tomato and pepper plants and sow cucumbers and green beans directly into the garden.

I think if I had a much larger garden and wanted to save money on plants and also get a jump on the growing season, I'd go with something like one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ho...e-HW155000/307352170

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cliho...rl=1286981&gclsrc=ds

I'd also buy some kind of remote temp alarm for any outdoor greenhouse. It's easy to forget to open up or close down the door when the outdoor temps call for it.

Or you can garden outdoors year round.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’d sure like to grow herbs year round. It kills me to pay for things like rosemary and thyme when I had big bushes of the stuff in CA.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I planted up some small pots of herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, mint) this year early in the summer and brought them in when the cold weather hit. I still have some LED shop lights from when I used to grow orchids, and I have them set up on a timer for the herbs. They're down in the basement.

I won't say they're exactly thriving but they're still hanging in there. Those guys really want the light and warmth of a summer sun.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have rosemary I brought in but I am sure it will croak about January...it always does.

Inside it is very dry from winter heating so hard to keep things like that going.

A cold frame made of old windows might work as in wtg's book cover. Perhaps against the house wall to help with more heat and protection from wind.

I have farm duty later this week, and on a larger scale, we have kale (2 kinds!) chard, onions and spinach growing under hoop houses, a sort of plastic green house. I get to harvest what I want..Will have to take photos.

There is NOTHING better than winter grown spinach, just sayin'.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post