well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Vaccinations? What are you doing this year?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vaccinations? What are you doing this year?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Bernard, that's quite common with a shoot into the arm muscle. That often, though not always, happens to me when I get a flu shot. I hate it! I've learned that there are some things I can do to lessen it, including relaxing my arm as much as possible before the shot, and then also trying to keep it moving as much as possible afterwards etc. I've also come to believe that some people are just better at actually giving the shot than others. >_<

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
What do they do if you don’t have any arm muscles?

Asking for a friend…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
What do they do if you don’t have any arm muscles?

Asking for a friend…

They might not twerk so well for a day or so.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10570 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I waited and waited to get my first Shingrex innoculation. Then when it finally arrived at my doctor's practice, I was told since I'm on Medicare I have to get it at a pharmacy.

And they have a mile long waiting list, chopped away a half dozen or so (how many come in at once) at a time.

Anybody else on Medicare running into this? I sure wish my doctor's office had told me this sooner. I'd probably be right at the beginning of the line.

Then again, after a bad experience with my last flu shot (accidently wrote it with "i" instead of "o" and almost didn't correct it), I may be just as well off.

The nurse jabbed it in deep, WAY up on my arm and instead of the few days of achiness I recall from the past (this is my first flu shot in almost a decade thanks to Cindy's influence), I got a horrid deep pain that lasted over six months andd still limits my mobility.

Googling "persistent pain after flu shot"* I see this is "a thing." Not sure I'll ever dare have another injection. Not in my right (dominent) arm anyhow. That would do me in. Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
* can't find anything but a lot of legal ads now. Well, I DID find it before - must phrased query differently before.

(Great. Now I can't even find *shrug* emoticon. What have you done with my computer! It's all from the flu shot!! ) VeryAngry

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:

Then again, after a bad experience with my last flu shot (accidently wrote it with "i" instead of "o" and almost didn't correct it), I may be just as well off.

The nurse jabbed it in deep, WAY up on my arm and instead of the few days of achiness I recall from the past,I got a horrid deep pain that lasted over six months andd still limits my mobility.

Googling "persistent pain after flu shot"* I see this is "a thing." Not sure I'll ever dare have another injection. Not in my right (dominent) arm anyhow. That would do me in. Frowner

Had a similar experience with a tetanus shot. Twice. Left arm, so the reduced mobility was less of an issue. I still have a hard lump in the deltoid where the shots were given.

I'm due for a booster and not looking forward to it....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Had a similar experience with a tetanus shot. Twice. Left arm, so the reduced mobility was less of an issue. I still have a hard lump in the deltoid where the shots were given.

I'm due for a booster and not looking forward to it....

Ugh. To my best recollection, tetanus shots always hurt. Rememmber having one as a kid before a friend's movie theatre birthday party. Had to watch it sitting on the edge of my seat.

Do we get a choice of where to get tetanus shots (arm or butt)?

Wondering if I'll have an easier time with a whooping cough booster (hadn't realized til recently - thanks to WTF - that I needed it at all, having had whooping cough. Also a very severe case of chicken pox. )

Hoping boosters of both will let me off easier on that account, but for all I know it's the opposite. Skeptical

Especially dreading Shingrex as it's reputed to be so reactive for everyone. (Niggling thoughts about how much the shots are being promoted for financial reasons considering the pain involved and only partial reliability. Remembering not long ago, its (not cheap) predecessor and now this replacement.

Are we just at an interim time awaiting a "new-improved" version being developed? Roll Eyes

How many unvaccinated people get Shingles anyhow?

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Had a mild case of shingles about 4 years ago. It was still pretty miserable, because it was hard to diagnose.

Had the Shingrix shots at our local pharmacy. I got on the waiting list last year, they called several months later but I was in the middle of changing health insurance, so I waited. Didn’t have an issue getting it when I told them I was ready. And they called me to remind me it was time for the second one. Mr. AM had his at our health clinic, and he had to go several times because they don’t hold it for you. When they run out, they run out!

First shot: My arm ached for days. Second shot: a little achey for a couple days, but not as bad.

Now my summer is complete. Who needs a vacation?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:

How many unvaccinated people get Shingles anyhow?

Approximately 1 in 3 people will get shingles in their lifetime; at least that's been the stat since before the vaccines became available.

From the link I posted earlier in this thread:

quote:
In the U.S., Zostavax and Shingrix are FDA-approved vaccines to help prevent the occurrence of shingles. In studies, compared with placebo, Shingrix significantly reduced the risk of developing shingles by 90 to 97% in subjects 50 years and older. Merck's Zostavax, compared to placebo, significantly reduced the risk of developing zoster by 69.8% in those 50 to 59 years old, and by 51% in subjects 60 and older overall. However, in patients 80 years and older, Zostavax was only 18% effective while Shingrix was 89.1% effective in preventing shingles in this older, at-risk, age group. There are no head-to-head studies.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The flu shot as soon as it becomes available. I had the flu in March and it was miserable.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post