well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Vaccinations? What are you doing this year?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vaccinations? What are you doing this year?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I’m about due for a shingles shot.

Anyone else got anything lined up?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I checked my measles immunity at my most recent blood test.

Still immune, after all these years. ThumbsUp

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Is that natural immunity, or did you get the vaccine as a kid?

Just curious....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I got lucky and got the first of the Shingrix vaccinations.

However, I suffered the side effects. Feels like the flu. Will remember to get the second one on a Friday so I don't have to miss work.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about the measles one, and i checked at the pharmacy, my insurance will cover it. Now I have to decide whether to just get it or whether to do a blood test first.

Next I want to find out about Shingles...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Big Grin

Is that natural immunity, or did you get the vaccine as a kid?

Just curious....

Vaccine as a kid.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

However, I suffered the side effects. Feels like the flu. Will remember to get the second one on a Friday so I don't have to miss work.
One of my cellmates and his wife got Shingrix shots. He said it put him in bed for a day, but she was down for most of a week. And you need to get two of them.

I'll still get it, but like you, I'll plan it for when I can be out of commission for a couple days.

Fortunately, I have plenty of sick leave saved up which need to use by the end of the year.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

One of my cellmates and his wife got Shingrix shots. He said it put him in bed for a day, but she was down for most of a week. And you need to get two of them.

I'll still get it, but like you, I'll plan it for when I can be out of commission for a couple days.

Fortunately, I have plenty of sick leave saved up which need to use by the end of the year.

It was just the next day for me. Felt bad waking up but got up and dressed then nausea came over me and the thought of getting into a moving car had me calling in sick. I slept most of the day and it passed. Hoping the second one will be easier.

STILL it is better than having shingles, just sayin'. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Glad to know about the side effects of Shingrix!

So does that mean that Shingrix has some of the live virus in it? Is it the only, or best, options for a shingles vaccine?

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Shigrix vs Zostavax (the other shingles vaccine)

https://www.drugs.com/medical-...ax-shingrix-3342576/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Merck's Zostavax is a subcutaneous, one-time injection, while Shingrix is an intramuscular (IM) injection requiring 2 injections, with the second dose given 2 to 6 months after the first. Pain due to injection was reported in roughly 40% of patients receiving Zostavax compared to 78% with Shingrix, as expected with an IM injection. Shingrix is a recombinant, non-live vaccine, while Zostavax is a live, attenuated vaccine. Live virus vaccines aren't usually recommended in immunocompromised patients.

Huh. So Shingrix isn't live. Wonder why it has that flu-like side effect then.

In any case, just from reading that, I'd still get the Shingrix instead and would just plan it carefully.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Up to date, I think. Had pertussis recently.

There’s a wait list for shingles vaccine, so I’ll hold off another year or two.

I’ll get the flu shot the minute it becomes available.

Psych! Smiler

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Signed,
Parallel-universe-Cindy

Big Grin

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder - I need to go get the Shingles one. I had shingles just over a year ago and was strongly advised to get vaccinated after a year had passed. I think I’m up to date with everything else as I had to get them all before I went to China, but that was 8 years ago so in the next couple years I’ll have to look into all the standards again.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I’m about due for a shingles shot.

Anyone else got anything lined up?

I had a tenanus booster when I moved up here. Mind you, I'm petrified of needles. I ooh and aah, hem and haw and when it finally happens I'm like, did you do it yet? Next day though, OW, I should bob you one for that! Dang, it felt like someone had punched me in the shoulder real bad.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post