well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chicago's mayoral election

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago's mayoral election
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The next Chicago mayor will either be a self-described political outsider who's never run for office, or a longtime city alderman and chair of the county's Democratic Party. Either way, for the first time, the city's top political official will be an African-American woman.

Former federal prosecutor Lori Lightfoot and Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle took the top spots in Tuesday night's tight race. They beat out 12 other candidates, many of whom entered the race after current Mayor Rahm Emanuel surprised the city by announcing in September he wouldn't run for a third term. Now Lightfoot, who earned 17.5 percent with 90,000 votes, and Preckwinkle, at 16 percent with 82,000 votes, will go head-to-head in a runoff election April 2.

They edged out William Daley, whose father and brother each served as mayor for over 20 years. Daley, who spent millions more than the other candidates, enjoyed wide name recognition but wasn't able to rise to the top of the field. He took third place with about 76,000 votes, or just shy of 15 percent of the total.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27...dates-head-to-runoff

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
If Lightfoot wins, she'd also be the city's first openly gay mayor.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
She should Milk that for what it’s worth.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
jon_nyc, once again demonstrating our critical need for a groan smiley.

Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
If we had groan smileys we would have used them all up on Piano Dad years ago.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chicago has a new mayor. Lightfoot won by a landslide.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What do you see as likely to change?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Good question. I confess I’ve paid little attention to this race.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That is a good question, and despite my proximity to Chicago I didn't spend much time on this particular election.

This piece in the Chicago Tribune about how she got here is kind of interesting.

The Trib's conclusions (their bolding):

quote:
Lightfoot comes across in person as reserved. But she dove into retail politicking and handshaking. Rather than relying solely on paid advertising, she went everywhere and met with everyone. She was on conservative talk radio in the morning and progressive talk radio in the afternoon. She went to high schools and churches and block clubs. She got in front of as many voters as possible.

She’s likable. She’s authoritative. She’s authentic. It worked.

Talking, talking and talking is a strategy not many campaign managers endorse. It’s too risky. Candidates might screw up or say something that can be twisted. Lightfoot broke that stricture too.

She also ran on ideas. While many candidates get away with brushing past specifics, Lightfoot on several controversial subject areas — curbing violence, overhauling the Chicago Police Department, encouraging affordable housing, reforming the City Council and expanding City Hall transparency, to name a few — offered detailed proposals. She answered questions straight on. She didn’t always stick to careful talking points.

How Lightfoot embraced running for mayor, and how Chicagoans citywide embraced her, brought refreshing change to Chicago politics. She broke the typical campaign template and won. We think she’ll govern just as capably.

Congratulations, Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot, and good luck.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190402-story.html I

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Chicago is in such deep fiscal trouble, and the murder rate is so high, it seems weird that the mayor election would be about anything else but that.

Any idea what she's had to say about those issues?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I really didn't follow the race at all, jon. But yours is a good question, so I went a huntin'. Here's how Lightfoot answered a bunch of questions posed by the local NBC affiliate.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blo...-race-506440601.html

There was this possible tax on accounting and law firms that Lightfoot floated recently:

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190324-story.html

Other than that, I believe both Lightfoot and Preckwinkle avoided specifics on fiscal issues.

But as I said, didn't follow this race closely.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Interesting. She talks (in a roundabout way) about ending pension spiking at the CPD and 'exploring alternatives' to the pension plan for new hires post 1/1/2020.

On the violence side, she mostly talks 'root cause' stuff but on the practical side an effort to improve the homicide clearance rate and even install cameras in some of the dangerous neighborhoods.