well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    An unexpected Ukulele
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An unexpected Ukulele
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
I met my friend Bill Hatfield, when he owned a local guitar / ukulele sales and repair shop. He happened to be a Larrivee dealer which is how I found his shop in the first place. Bill has been amassing an arsenal of luthier tools for a few decades now and he started building his first acoustic guitars about 18 months ago.

He never intended to sell guitars, just make them for family and close friends for time and material type fees. IOW, very good pricing on hand crafted instruments done to world-class standards.

His first two guitars are very very nice. Well the first one is the only one I have played but the second guitar just looks so much better still. As is usual when one gets more experience.

He interrupted the build on the 2nd guitar to build his first Ukulele. He decided to do this to offer it for sale with all of the proceeds going to his daughter's family as her husband is fighting cancer and cannot work.

It was offered up at a family event but did not sell so Bill put it up on FB yesterday with a video of him playing it and singing a Beatles song.

Sarah watched the video with me and at the end of the video I blurted out, I want to buy it. And to my surprise, she agreed!

So I sent a dm to Bill telling him that I want the Ukulele. He was very happy that I ended up with it.

It sounds amazing. It has a very long sustain if you want it.

All solid wood all hand made. American Walnut Back, Sides and Top. Flame Maple Body Binding and Fretboard that is bound in Walnut on top of Honduran Mahogany neck with scarf joint. Rosewood Bridge, Bone Saddle and Nut, Abalone/MOP fretboard markers and headstock logo. Bill had to make the body mold and all the other tooling required to thin plane and bend the sides, etc. Even the neck is hand carved. All the bracing is also hand carved. The beer stein on the heal plate is a nice touch.

Here are some photos of this little one-of-a-kind beauty.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
It’s gorgeous. Would love to hear it.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
It looks like a tenor with a low G string? (That’s what I play)

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a tenor with low G.

I will try to get a copy of Bill's video. And I will also try to get a recording of my feeble attempts to play it. lol

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very nice! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Smokin' Smokin'

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! And a good cause. May you have much joy in playing it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is sharable on FB but this is a link to the video that Bill put up on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/15988...738/3375702792709158

If it's not sharable let me know.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s beautiful!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That’s beautiful.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That video is great! He’s got a really nice voice and the uke is lovely!

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Lovely!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Nice instrument and a wonderful demonstration of the ukulele. I used to want to learn to play one - but I'm not sure I need to poorly play another instrument.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What a lovely instrument, and an even better backstory.

May you have many years of happy playing!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37796 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I feel very honored to be able to own this little instrument. It's rather amazing in its ability to completely capture my attention for hours on end. I haven't been able to put it down since I brought it home.

I have learned and have done my own arrangement for the Beatles song, "Something". I will try to get a video or at least a recording of it and some other things I am working on including a finger picking tune titled "Waltzing Matilida"