well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help me pick a new car (truck/suv)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a new car (truck/suv)
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Spinning off from the camping thread...

I have a 2000 pound trailer that I really can't pull with my 15 year old Subaru Outback.

I was thinking a small pickup would be handy for other uses around the house and yard. The consensus seems to be a Toyota Tacoma.

I just came across a couple ads on craiglist for Toyota FJs. I've always thought of them as a niche retro thing... capable, but with a premium pricetag for the looks. Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions for vehicles to look at?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Tundra or other full size. You will be glad you did in terms of both comfort and capability.

Edit: I take that back. The Tacoma actually has more legroom, and the Tundra gets dissed for being behind the times, having not been really redone in 14 years.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure this will tow 2,000 lbs.

Nothing but pure bliss on the road. Your back and kidneys will thank you.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
I'm pretty sure this will tow 2,000 lbs.

Nothing but pure bliss on the road. Your back and kidneys will thank you.
Been there, done that. I towed my first little trailer with my E320 waggin. I had a transmission cooler installed and it did well. The best part was the self-leveling rear suspension so after hitching up the back end pumped itself right back up to where it should be, although the accumulators started leaking the first time I towed.

When I bought this bigger trailer, I brought it home with the E320 and it kinda felt like it was just a bit much. Getting the trailer brakes working probably would have helped, but I didn't have the wiring installed to do that.

The new trailer was also as tall as the back window of the waggin and it was nice to be able to see over the small one. So, I want a tow vehicle tall enough that I can see over the trailer.

My ex had an ML430. It had a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs and towed this trailer (and her 1956 "canned ham") with ease. When she ran off, I did consider keeping the ML and selling my Subie, but the Benz had bad ju-ju.

Mercedes used to make something like an El Camino. Or maybe they were converted from production sedans like Binz (not Benz) did in the 1960s. As far as I know, they were only sold in South Africa. One of those would be awesome.

While my E320 Waggin was one of the most utilitarian cars I've ever known, the maintenance was eating me alive. I ended up selling it to my mechanic who had the exact same car, but in white and with twice as many miles.

ETA: Click and Clack declared the 1995 E320 to be the best all-around car ever made. It was also the most handsome car I've ever owned. It has the classic Mercedes lines that I thought they kinda ruined with the W210 series.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
We just love the Mercedes wagon so much we keep trading up every 10 years or so. This is our 3rd wagon since we got married. We didn't start out with a wagon. The 450 SEL was our starter drug.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Hmmmm... what about a Highlander Hybrid? It has a V6 and several of them on craigslist have a towing package. It would make a better vehicle for other-than-towing duties.

On the other hand, a small truck would be better for moving household and landscaping stuff.

In my experience, a body-on-frame, rear wheel drive vehicle is quieter and tows better than a unibody front drive vehicle will. I tow heavier stuff so maybe with something lightweight it wouldn't make much difference. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think an equalizing hitch would work on a unibody vehicle. Get up a bit in weight and an equalizing hitch is the difference between towning comfortably and dragging a trailer behind you.

I'd consider a Tacoma myself, but wouldn't discount short American half tons either. They're very nice, roomy and comfortable, and likely less $ than the Tacoma is going to be. Fuel economy is about the same.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think an equalizing hitch would work on a unibody vehicle.

Reese 350 Mini. Handles up to 3500 lbs. They are popular with people with larger tent trailers and vehicles that maybe shouldn't be towing quite that much... a minivan with five kids, three coolers, and all the requisites for a two week trip. They help counter the sag.

https://www.reeseprod.com/prod...duty-wd/350-mini-wd/

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think an equalizing hitch would work on a unibody vehicle.

Reese 350 Mini. Handles up to 3500 lbs. They are popular with people with larger tent trailers and vehicles that maybe shouldn't be towing quite that much... a minivan with five kids, three coolers, and all the requisites for a two week trip. They help counter the sag.

https://www.reeseprod.com/prod...duty-wd/350-mini-wd/

Equalizing hitches work by levering off of the frame to transfer some weight to the front of the vehicle. I wouldn't think a Unibody frame would tolerate that sort of stress but maybe modern ones will.

I do know that my friend put a big tear in the sheet metal behind the back door of his Cortina pulling a three bike dirtbike trailer. The car was totaled.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Cortina

I had to ask mr wtg what that is.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37797 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Cortina

I had to ask mr wtg what that is.
Heh. I rode in one once when I was a kid.

I guess the success of a WDH depends heavily on how the receiver is mounted to the car. Yeah, a body-on-frame vehicle will carry that weight better.

That seems to be the strongest argument for buying a pickup to tow, even a fairly light trailer.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com