well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How to Flood a Townhome
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Flood a Townhome
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Pique, our CA house was plumbed like yours except the most distant sink was in the kitchen. During water rationing times I filled a bucket in the sink and used it to water the yard. It was always my plan to install a valve to send the water to a rain barrel or something but I never did.

Meanwhile, you might consider dribbling the cold water in to the bathtub or shower. Far lower risk of flooding.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Meanwhile, you might consider dribbling the cold water in to the bathtub or shower. Far lower risk of flooding.

Thank you. Considering metered faucets at both bathroom sinks and using the eyedrops I keep on my nightstand.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:

Thank you. Considering metered faucets at both bathroom sinks and using the eyedrops I keep on my nightstand.

Chas, have you tried the eye gels (rather than drops) for night time? My mom’s optometrist just recommended those to her. She also recommends a warm eyepack once/day.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Ugh, sorry to hear this Chas. Floods suck.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
This week's project: Check the overflow drains in both bathroom sinks to make sure they are running.

Unfortunately, the sinks that don't have one are the kitchen and the laundry room.

At least once I've left the kitchen sink filling and got distracted... until I heard the water hitting the floor.

And the one in the laundry room got clogged with lint. I had started the washer and gone out for breakfast. Apparently, the sound of water hitting the floor is similar to the sound of breaking glass and the glassbreak sensor tripped the alarm system. I didn't hear my phone ring when the alarm company called. I got charged for a false alarm when the police showed up.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
OMG! Eeker

So sorry this happened.

Like, PJ, when I hear stories like this I do some checks around the house..

My floods are in the basement, mostly because the washer drains into a sink..if the sink is clogged...well...

The sound of water always has me running to see what the matter is! Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Search for "instant hot water recirculating pump" on amazon and you'll see lots of alternatives.

Thank you! I knew something like this had to exist, I just didn't know what it was.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you ever need to know how to flood a townhome just ask...

Awful, just awful! Something I can imagine all too well happening here. Got an early start, come to think of it.

One of my family's most unforgettable memories of me in youth, is the time I let the bathtub overflow owing to the bath I forgot to take.

One of the most striking aspects of the overflow was that the kitchen cabinet directly in the line of the heaviest flow was our spice cabinet. Dad, being a dedicated home chef, had quite a collection. He was most unhappy about the immense pile of spices (some quite expensive) that had to be thrown out.

The ones he had the most trouble forgiving were his truffles and his large, prized (and newly replenished) saffron, both in containers that were not water-proof. I remember he sputtered quite a lot about them, the saffron especially. I just looked up saffron on Google and was astonished to learn it's more expensive than gold.

Many thanks for introducing me to the Servpro company! I wondered how come you had such a collection of drying fans, but now I understand (googling servpro) that it's their stock in trade. Hopefully, keeping the name of this indispensable (if needed) company, will ward off requiring their services.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
quote:

Chas, have you tried the eye gels (rather than drops) for night time? My mom’s optometrist just recommended those to her. She also recommends a warm eyepack once/day.

Thank you. Have not found a gel I like. Putting the thicker goo on my eyes does not feel like a good thing to do.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post