well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How to Flood a Townhome
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Flood a Townhome
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
If you ever need to know how to flood a townhome just ask.
At night if I get up I often stop at the bathroom sink and splash some water on my face for my dry eyes and return to bed.
Around 4 am Saturday I got up and discovered that I had left a tap running in my third floor bathroom and my feet were in the water that had over flowed.
The dryer fans are still running this Monday. It is like standing behind and airliner that is taking off. The noise is constant.
There are six dryers and a dehumidifier running in my bedroom. Three fans and a dehumidifier are running in the living room.
Much of the living room ceiling will be replaced. The rug seems dry. The laminate flooring had been very good with spills, but we shall see.
The dryers running in the garage have dried the kayaks and the trike seat. That ceiling may need work.
Have my laptop on one of the balconies away from the noise.
Servpro seems to be doing a good job.
Hope you have been faring better.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Clearly no overflow drain on the sink in question....or just not working....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Ouch. So sorry for your troubles!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Shoot.

So sorry, man. That well and truly sucks.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Oh, no! Floods, even small ones, are the worst.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A while ago we had a leak in our attic humidifier. The water dutifully poured into the pan, but the outlet of the pan was corroded and blocked. The water simply built up in the insulation until ... crash, the second floor ceiling collapsed and its soppy mess came down.

That was a major headache and repair. Fortunate for homeowner's insurance for that one. Lemons to lemonade, we turned the attic into 500 square feet of additional space.

I feel your pain.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh, dear, CHAS...what a mess. Comfort

Closest we came is a pipe burst in the basement (old pipe material failed) and poured onto a grand piano being stored in the basement. Got some insurance money for the piano, but that old piano was not in great shape to begin with. Still somebody on PianoWorld wanted it, so I gave it to him for the cost of shipping. To TEXAS.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Ugg. Sometimes sh!t happens. My advice?

Just tilt your head up to the sunshine, imagine the fans are ocean breezes, that your deck is a dock, and enjoy some
Otis

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg, how awful. I am so sorry. I remember how loud those fans were when our fridge wrecked the kitchen floor. I can’t imagine a houseful of them. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Spending my days on one of the balconies or walking nearby. Cannot take the noise. Got a clean hotel/ motel room at mud season price because the bed is covered with things from the closet. There are two fans in the closet and the other four are near the bed.
Had every intention of clearing that slow drain this week

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your home disaster and thank you for the PSA. I needed to hear about this. We live in what is called a "rambler"--2,000 square feet all on one level. I swear I walk 20,000 steps a day just going from one end of the house to the other.

Anyway, the hot water heater is at one end of the house, the bathroom I use in the morning is at the other end. It takes so long for the hot water to reach that bathroom--and I hate cold water--that I have a routine of turning on the tap in the bathroom sink when I first wake up, then go and make coffee and read my email while I wait for the water to get hot so I can wash my face.

More than once I've gotten wrapped up in an email or message exchange for so long, that only much later do I realize the water must still be running in the bathroom.

Panic ensues as I run to the other end of the house, hoping the sink is doing its job and still draining. Remarkably the water is usually still plenty hot enough to wash my face.

Leaving

now as to the dry eyes, maybe eye drops would be a better alternative to water?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Sorry to hear this.

Have you started lining up contractors to fix your place back up?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Sorry about your home disaster and thank you for the PSA. I needed to hear about this. We live in what is called a "rambler"--2,000 square feet all on one level. I swear I walk 20,000 steps a day just going from one end of the house to the other.

Anyway, the hot water heater is at one end of the house, the bathroom I use in the morning is at the other end. It takes so long for the hot water to reach that bathroom--and I hate cold water--that I have a routine of turning on the tap in the bathroom sink when I first wake up, then go and make coffee and read my email while I wait for the water to get hot so I can wash my face.

More than once I've gotten wrapped up in an email or message exchange for so long, that only much later do I realize the water must still be running in the bathroom.

Panic ensues as I run to the other end of the house, hoping the sink is doing its job and still draining. Remarkably the water is usually still plenty hot enough to wash my face.

Leaving

now as to the dry eyes, maybe eye drops would be a better alternative to water?
Pique, you need a recirculating pump. It will keep hot water available at your bathroom sink all the time. They're a pretty easy DIY job from the looks of them, and not too expensive at around $200. Search for "instant hot water recirculating pump" on amazon and you'll see lots of alternatives.

And Chas, sorry about making light of your situation. I was in kinda a mood when I posted. I do find Otis very calming though.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Pique, search for Hot Water Lobster, but be sure to read the reviews and everything. Your water bill goes down but your gas/electricity bill to heat water goes up.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hadn't seen the non-electric recirculating pump when I looked into these a while back. Interesting.

On the plus side, it could help with situations like the one we have with pipes freezing. Water would keep moving through and probably keep that from happening. Our solution is simply to drip water from the problem faucet when temps go really low in the winter, maybe a few days a year.

On the (possibly) minus side, the cold water tends to be warmer than it was without the pump because of the recirculation.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post