well-temperedforum.groupee.net
The stupid. It burns.

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/1283995497

02 July 2020, 12:15 PM
wtg
The stupid. It burns.
quote:
Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith told the City Council on Tuesday that he has confirmed the students' careless behavior.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alab...ls/story?id=71552514

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

02 July 2020, 12:16 PM
wtg
quote:
Alright ... stop.

Vanilla Ice is throwing a Fourth of July weekend concert deep in the heart of pandemic hotspot Texas.

The Iceman will cometh this Friday at a concert venue in Austin, where all the bars are otherwise closed due to COVID-19.

The concert is titled the Independence Day Throwback Beach Party and it's happening due to a legal loophole, the Austin Chronicle pointed out. The venue — Emerald Point Bar & Grill, located on the shores of Lake Travis — is technically a restaurant, even though it also has a large capacity outdoor general admission concert space. So fans don't have to collaborate with or listen to current recommended coronavirus guidelines that seek to eliminate large crowds.

“I can’t wait to get back to this," the "Ice Ice Baby" singer posted on Instagram along with some of his previous packed concert footage. "The 90s were the best. We didn’t have coronavirus, or cell phones, or computers. We had 5.0's, blockbuster, Beavis and Butthead, Wayne's World, Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan ... Mortal Kombat is still better than Fortnight ... the last of the great decades.” The singer added in another post on Thursday: "Music makes people happy. I think we could all use some happiness with all this corona mess happening."

The Travis County Health Department is warning people to stay away from Vanilla Ice -- not in general, but this show specifically -- with spokesperson Jen Samp telling TMZ: "[Attending a concert] is not wise regardless of who is performing at any gathering right now. The best way to be nostalgic is by protecting your parents and grandparents and staying home."

The concert is selling 2,500 tickets, which is roughly half of the venue's potential capacity. Tickets range from $25 for general admission to $300 for VIP seating (the latter is sold out).

Another retro act, Color Me Badd, will sex up the same venue on July 4th.

https://ew.com/music/vanilla-i...concert-coronavirus/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

02 July 2020, 01:00 PM
Amanda
It is indeed stupid and incredibly insensitive.
(Wondering how they will feel when one of them not only gets the virus but dies of it...)

However, especially since this concert is dedicated to nostalgia, it made me reflect for a while about how previous youthful generations would have responded to the kind of deprivations these kids have been subjected to.

That is: the catastrophic economy, the failing environment and now the stay at home orders, missing prom, graduation, and live classes.

And now with the downright hatred of the Boomers - attributing to them all their losses, while supposing they/we kind of used up the fun they are now missing ("OK, Boomer")...

All that along with youth's purported sense of immortatility, it's hard to imagine earlier youthful generations doing much better. Perhaps excepting the generation fighting in WWII with that great cause to motivate them.

I suspect the kids of the 60s for example, would have done the same or worse. ("Don't trust anyone over thirty" etc.)

quote:
"Another retro act, Color Me Badd, will sex up the same venue on July 4th."

But "sexing up" ?? Confused

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

02 July 2020, 01:02 PM
wtg
I wondered about that too but didn't bother to look it up earlier. But now I have.

from the wikipedia entry for Color Me Badd

quote:
Best known for their singles "I Wanna Sex You Up", "I Adore Mi Amor" and "All 4 Love",

Bazootiehead-in-training