well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Keeping mushrooms; making a sourdough starter, food goals for 2022.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping mushrooms; making a sourdough starter, food goals for 2022.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
I add mushrooms to a lot of things I cook, but they go slimy pretty quickly now that they get packaged in plastic boxes instead of cardboard. So now I dump them in a colander and let the modern frost free fridge dehydrate them and they last forever.

Also decided I’m going to get better at bread making this year and am attempting a sourdough starter. Do any of you do this? I’ve been binge watching some of those ordinary people who seem to make a living documenting their lives and kitchens on youtube channels and it looks like fun. So here’s mine (started today) sitting on the edge of the stove. (I may have have temp issues because of winter, I think)

I am also going to start fermenting vegetables. I did a couple of things last year (mustard seeds, and carrots) and they were yummy.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Great tip on the mushrooms! I'll definitely try that.

As for starter, I tried it many years ago. My friend had a starter that she had kept going for like five years and she gave me a small jar to take home to start my own. I got it going, but I wasn't good about tending it and it finally went south.

Do you by any chance have an old yogurt maker? I wonder if that would work to keep the starter toasty warm while it gets going. You could probably pick one up in a thrift store for next to nothing....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I used to have a yogurt maker. One of the many things we ditched when we moved! I have a very small food dehydrator (fan running with warm air) that I’ve been using to dry the paints I’m making. I tucked the jar in next to that this afternoon.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I used to have a yogurt maker. One of the many things we ditched when we moved! I have a very small food dehydrator (fan running with warm air) that I’ve been using to dry the paints I’m making. I tucked the jar in next to that this afternoon.

I read this as "that I've been using to dry the pants I'm making".

I thought, "I want to see those pants.".

Hilarity ensued.

I guess a heating pad (maybe wrapped in a towel) set on low could work, too.

Funny you brought up bread baking. I used to bake a fair amount in my day but haven't for years. I was just saying to Mr wtg last week that I was planning to make one of his favorites, an oatmeal bread with a touch of molasses.

I may be busy making bread tomorrow while Steve is cooking Soup Roberto. Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sign me up for your kitchen blog!

Once you dehydrate them in the colander do you transfer the mushrooms to another container? Or do you just use them out of the colander?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I usually end up using them before they are completely dry, sometimes I transfer them to a smaller open container if they are almost dry. Most important thing is I never end up throwing any slimy mushrooms away now. When they are completely dry they are pretty cool - they snap easily into smaller pieces, so you don’t have to cut them! I just remember seeing dehydrated mushrooms in containers at Costco, and they were soooo expensive. This is cheap and easy!

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

I read this as "that I've been using to dry the pants I'm making".

I thought, "I want to see those pants.".

Lol. Big Grin Did you end up making bread? This morning, Fred (the sourdough starter) is sitting on an ove-glove (best kitchen tool ever) on a vintage Pyrex thigie filled with warm water on the warming burner or our stove (because even when I turn the heat up to 70, the kitchen stays about 65). Next to him is a bowl of bread rising - I have a kitchen-aid mixer that I vowed to use a bunch this year (had it since we lived in Ferndale), and though I plan to learn to better knead bread manually, I’m using the dough hook and the mixer for now - as so far it’s been awesome. The bread will go into a Dutch oven (and into the oven) to cook.

Smiler Jodi

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
This is brilliant, on the mushrooms. I’ve thrown away so many slimy ones.

I keep buying food as if the kids still live here. The fridge is full. I choose what to cook based on “what is in danger of going bad?” It’s delicious. Risotto last night, with asparagus and mushrooms (mushrooms were endangered).

Sourdough starter: A friend gave me some. I forgot about it by the next weekend, and then I left town. DEAD. No sourdough for me.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
You can make your own. Supposedly takes a week. It becomes uniquely yours (cause it’s the yeast from the flour and the surroundings in your kitchen).

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
This is the yeast bread - kneaded using the stand mixer, baked in a Dutch oven (in a 450 degree regular oven). I cut the “X” a little too big!

I had to order a stainless steel knob for the (Le Creuset) Dutch oven lid - the black one it comes with isn’t heat safe at that high a temperature.

Smiler Jodi

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I love this. My sourdough starter is over 3 years old. I neglected it over the past few months as I am trying to lose some excess weight and so much bread is a definite no-no. If you keep it fed and maintained, it can last for decades.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can make your own. Supposedly takes a week. It becomes uniquely yours (cause it’s the yeast from the flour and the surroundings in your kitchen).

It’s the remembering to keep it alive that is my problem!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:

To hell with the food (I live alone so don't do big cooking projects like this anymore.)

I WANT that gadget holder and the garlic keeper!

I am sucker for pottery...I have a handmade paper towel holder made by a potter. WhoMe

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My mom made the tall pot, and I made the garlic keeper!

Smiler Jodi

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I love ceramic stuff too. I’ll post pictures when I’m up for the photo hosting hassle.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post