well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Worsening Economy of Recycling

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worsening Economy of Recycling
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Monetary cost of recycling is increasing, to the point where many municipalities have abandoned their recycling programs, because China stopped buying recycled plastics and recycled cardboards.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...recycling-costs.html

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's everywhere. Included (perhaps mentioned in the article, which I haven't read yet) is the tightening of recycling requirements. Previously, it was cost-effective to allow "dirty" recycling, which would either be sorted out or the entire load would simply be tossed as garbage. The cost of screening recycling is too high for this now, as the profit margins are tiny.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
What did China do with all our waste?

And is lack of taking it have to do with Him?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I missed our town meeting yesterday but one of the warrant articles was whether or not to suspend our town's recycling effort. I just found out at the transfer station (weekly garbage run) that a vote to allow it to continue passed with an amendment giving the selectmen authority to cancel it if and when they deem it is becoming too expense.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10574 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Something must be done. I'll take my four lawn bags full of aluminium and plastic to the recycling. Smokin'

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like we are going to have to stop depending on the commercial value of recyclable material and move to a more proactive approach.

The no deposit no return plastic water bottle might be a good place to start.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post