well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No thread yet about DeSantis's 12 million dollar Migrant Vacation to Martha's Vineyard?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No thread yet about DeSantis's 12 million dollar Migrant Vacation to Martha's Vineyard?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Letters to the editor, Florida edition.

https://www.tampabay.com/opini...m_source=parsely-api

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
After reading about how our governor sent immigrants to Martha’s Vineyard, I was thinking that maybe the governors and mayors of northern states and cities should say to themselves, “You know, winter is coming to our states and cities and it will be getting cold, so maybe we should gather up our homeless population and send them to a warm climate for the winter season.” Of course, that would be Florida. I think The Villages and Naples would be good places to send them.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't surprise me an iota.

https://www.rollingstone.com/p...ntis-mad-1234595332/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Authorities in Texas have opened a criminal investigation into Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' flight last week that took roughly 50 Venezuelan migrants to Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts. Javier Salazar, the sheriff of Bexar County, where San Antonio is located, said in a news release Monday that his office is investigating whether the migrants were victims of crimes:

The Bexar County Sheriff's Office has opened an investigation into the migrants that were lured from the Migrant Resource Center, located in Bexar County, TX, and flown to Florida, where they were ultimately left to fend for themselves in Martha's Vineyard, MA.

Additionally, we are working with private attorneys who are representing the victims, as well as advocacy organizations regarding this incident. We are also preparing to work with any federal agencies that have concurrent jurisdiction, should the need arise.

Salazar held a Facebook Live news conference over the Bexar County Sheriff's Office page, answering reporters' questions.

"What we understand is a Venezuelan migrant was paid a bird-dog fee to recruit 50 migrants who were then were lured — and I will use the word "lured" under false pretenses — to staying in a hotel for a few days, then taken to an airplane where they were flown to Florida and then Martha's Vineyard under false pretenses of being offered jobs," says Salazar. "For what we can gather, a little more than a photo op, a video op, and then they were left there."

The sheriff continued to explain his anger over the incident and the false promises that brought the migrants onto the plane.

"What infuriates me the most is what we have is 48 people here legally — they have every right to be here and they were preyed upon. Lured with promises of a better life and with the knowledge they would cling anything that was offered for a better life and were exploited and hoodwinked to make the trip to Florida for what I believe was political posturing."

"When you're playing with human lives, people that have every right to be here, that does tend to bother me quite a bit. We are absolutely opening an investigation into this."

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/19...ght-marthas-vineyard

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 15 Cuban refugees whose makeshift boat chanced to land on Florida’s largest nude beach on Labor Day would have been convenient “unauthorized aliens” for Gov. Ron DeSantis to place aboard the two charter jets he had fly into into Martha’s Vineyard last week.

Had some of those 15 been aboard, DeSantis likely could have filled both of the 30-seat Fairchild Dornier 328 jets from among the 100 other Cuban refugees who arrived over Labor Day weekend. And if DeSantis wanted to go through with his threat to fly and bus more “unauthorized aliens” into “sanctuary states,” he could recruit from among the 1,300 who have arrived directly from Cuba to his state since last October. That number is up more than 600 percent over last year.

But Florida Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñez triggered a political furor back in August when she suggested on a radio program that Florida might bus newly arrived Cuban refugees from Florida to President Joe Biden’s home state of Delaware.

So, rather than displease the formidable Cuban American community in Florida, DeSantis went to the trouble and expense of hiring a contractor to hustle migrants into boarding his charter planes in San Antonio, Texas. And, lest the passengers include some of the record 176,000 Cubans who have arrived at the southern border by land over the past year, the contractor appears to have targeted only Venezuelans and a few Colombians.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/...-to-marthas-vineyard

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The migrants' stories.

quote:
A dramatic shift at the border as migrants converge on a remote corner of South Texas

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/23...ote-corner-of-south-

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
from WTG's article just above:

"This new wave of migrants is coming largely from Venezuela, Cuba and Nicaragua. That's significant because these migrants generally cannot be expelled under the pandemic border restrictions known as Title 42. And immigration authorities are mostly releasing them into the United States, where they can seek asylum."

To me, this is key. These folks aren't actually illegal. They are entering the US and following US laws to apply for political asylum status. The *real* problem here is our entire immigration system is fully and truly broken.

I have a bit of personal experience in one piece of this: when you arrive in the USA under some types of visas, you can legally work for a period of time. But you need to apply for a green card in order to be able to work indefinitely. The problem? The stopgap legal work period you have on your immigrant visa is shorter than the time it's currently taking the US gov to process green card applications, leaving a significant gap. When questioned, one of the bureaucrats essentially said, "Oh, don't worry about it, no one will care or check." WTF

We have never seriously addressed our ridiculous immigration system and laws. In my opinion the issue lies with both parties, and goes back to at least the 1940s. And as several have pointed out in this thread, we are in the midst of a significant labor shortage, especially for the types of service jobs many of these folks would be happy to fill.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
These folks aren't actually illegal.

Odd how many news stories and polls omit that point.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More on the backstory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/1...-desantis-texas.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/1...-desantis-texas.html

"Perla," the person who did the leg work to lure the immigrants from Texas onto DeSantis' flight to Martha's Vineyard has been identified.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
There used to be a Tampa paper (my grandparents had it delivered) and a St. Petersburg paper (with a renowned reputation).

I moved back to this area to find both papers defunct through media consolidation.

Now we have the Tampa Bay Times reporting on Hillsborough, Pinellas (Tampa and St. Petersburg) and Pasco (the county noth of Pinellas) counties.

The Tampa Tribune was an old school paper. It reported on news that happened in Tampa in a comprehensive, methodical way.

This new paper chooses news stories in an almost haphazard way from the three counties and tends toward sensationalism. Its reporting is anything but methodical or comprehensive.

I'm not trying to be mean but it seems to be written in 5th grade English.

I flip through it and usually put it down after about 30 seconds.

I moved from Tampa decades ago. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this media consolidation. But I was and don't have any desire to read this paper let alone to buy it.

But getting to the editorial, I agree completely.

Posts: 24716 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
60 Minutes did a follow-up about the Martha's Vineyard story. Worth watching the video/reading the transcript.

This was sweet.

quote:
Rachel Self says if immigration officials determine the 49 migrants were victimized [were lied to about what was going on], they could receive justice in the form of something called a U visa.

Rachel Self: And in order to qualify for a U visa, you need two things. You need to have a certification from a law enforcement official that you were a victim of a crime. And you then need to show that you suffered as a result of the crime.

So, she flew to Texas with a stack of U visa certifications for Sheriff Javier Salazar to sign. After careful review, he did.

Sharyn Alfonsi: So if the intention of this stunt was to look tough on migrants, what did it actually do?

Rachel Self: Ironically, it provided them a completely independent available path to legalize their status here.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m...-minutes-transcript/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well, at least his presidential campaign tanked.

Posts: 24716 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post