well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Towns Keeping Part-Timers Out

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Towns Keeping Part-Timers Out
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My parents have a cottage in an area that has very few residents during winter months (under 8,000 spread over a huge area) bit increases to huge numbers (about 100,000) between Victoria Day and Labour Day (late May to early September). The local residents are pleading with people not to come to their cottages early to self-isolate, because their infrastructure can’t handle it. In the summer, they hire on extra staff at grocery stores, hospitals, etc, to meet the needs of the cottagers. None of those things are in place. There are entire stores and services that don’t open until mid-May. It’s very worrisome for the local residents.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I hadn't seen that, Quirt. Thanks for posting it.

We know John well. He and his wife Peg own a lovely store called the Blue Dolphin House that we shopped at often. Check out their website; they have some really nice stuff. Some of my hostas are planted on the shop grounds; I schlepped them up there and gave them to them.

edit: Mr wtg just read the article and saw one of my giant hostas behind John in the photo in the NYT article).

Thankfully, the sale of our Door County vacation home (in Liberty Grove) closed on February 21st; it had been up for sale since July of last year. And we hadn't reinvested the proceeds before the market tanked.

We cannot believe how lucky we were on multiple fronts.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
There’s an article I read yesterday ... in Norway, they are requiring people to stay away from their second homes, and instituting fines if they don’t. Same infrastructure concerns Dol mentioned.

I also saw something that said one Cape Cod island ... either Nantucket or the Vineyard ... has only one ventilator.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
A good friend of my daughter's has moved from Manhattan to her family's cabin in Maine. Smart move for her.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the sale of our Door County vacation home (in Liberty Grove) closed on February 21st

Good for you!

Mr. SK and I were just talking the other day about how glad we are that we bought house *last* year, not this year! We closed a year ago this month, and moved in at the end of May 2019. If we had been dealing with all of that in the middle of corona, well I don't want to think about what nightmare it would have been, and all the uncertainty!

As it is, we count our blessings every day that we can spend the era of social distancing in this house as opposed to other options.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post