well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Welcome home to a nightmare

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome home to a nightmare
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Horry County family returns from Disney to find $40,000 of damage to their home; kids responsible won’t face charges

https://www.wjbf.com/news/horr..._campaign=socialflow

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
It's not clear to me why the youths involved won't face serious time in juvenile detention and their families be responsible for restitution.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wondered the same thing.

quote:
Due to the age of the kids, they can not be criminally charged and the incident will have to be handled civilly, officers said.

https://abcnews4.com/news/loca...after-trip-to-disney

What a mess for the family whose house was trashed.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I am surprised they can’t be charged. Most states have a juvenile court system. Parents are not automatically responsible for civil damages incurred by kids. Typically, if appropriate, parents are sued too for negligent supervision. A suit against the kids will probably trigger coverage under parents homeowner policies, if any, so compensation may be available.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also this:

quote:
Brian Kenny said he reached out to his homeowners insurance company.

“They told us that none of our property, our personal things are covered under our insurance,” he said. “It’s only our structure. They broke a lot of things.”

How can that be right?? I’m going to check my insurance tmrw!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
He could certainly bring a civil suit against the families of the children.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post