Find
Notify
Tools

Refocus
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
There's a lot of focus on the presidential campaign and the sense that we must unseat Trump. For any number of reasons I'm feeling pessimistic about it, if only because I think the Democrats are going to fracture: Progressives vs. "center".

I think a better focus would be the Senate and an all out effort to regain control.

Honestly? I could live with another four years of Trump if the Democrats controlled both houses. It would basically render him ineffective.

At the moment it seems harder to imagine unseating Trump than it does gaining control of Congress. I hope we aren't putting all our eggs in one basket.

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Given his willingness, actually eagerness, to bust through norms, he'll just do whatever he wants by executive order.

We need him gone.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's a good thought, but a very tough challenge to take the Senate.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...ts-2020-election-map

And unfortunately, as Quirt points out, I-1 doesn't seem to have much regard for rules.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37872 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Given his willingness, actually eagerness, to bust through norms, he'll just do whatever he wants by executive order.

We need him gone.

+100 gazillion.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

We need him gone.

Of course we need him gone. I'm really afraid it isn't going to happen and the Democratic party shouldn't be banking everything on that scenario. Another 4 years of Trump without a Senate would be a heck of a lot better than 4 more years of Trump and a republican Senate.

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
It's a good thought, but a very tough challenge to take the Senate.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...ts-2020-election-map

And unfortunately, as Quirt points out, I-1 doesn't seem to have much regard for rules.

I don't think it will be a piece of cake, but it's entirely possible. ME, AZ, and CO are good contenders. As of yesterday, KY might be in play. And then there's Moore in AL. NC did not go heavily for Trump in '16.

It will be a very bad thing if Trump gets re-elected with a Republican Senate again, and I think there's a strong possibility of Trump winning.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course we need him gone. I'm really afraid it isn't going to happen and the Democratic party shouldn't be banking everything on that scenario.

I agree! There should be no banking on anything! We are in a very precarious position and all planning should be taking that into account.... whatever that means. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I find the entire process sickening. American politics is very very broken - and has been since President Obama won his first term and arguably even before then.

I tried to leave and hide out in the UK, but then their government also lost its mind so all that happened was I got a different dose of race hatred craziness than I would have had I stayed in the US.

So I do everything I can to ignore what's going on with the elections. I'll support the Democratic candidates of my choice in the Colorado primaries. After that, I'll vote for whoever the rest of the state/country decides should be the Democratic candidates.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
On a related note, my take is that the most powerful man in the country today is Mitch McConnell. He alone is setting the agenda for all of Congress (because the House cannot pass any legislation without the Senate going along). He is flooding the courts with extreme right-wing judges. Remember, he alone prevented Garland from getting a confirmation hearing.

His agenda is extreme. And basically I-1 is his useful idiot. McConnell and the rest of the GOP will turn a blind eye to anything I-1 does just so they can continue to realize the subjugation of the country they have been dreaming of for years.

The Senatortoise must go.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agree re: McConnell. It's always seemed odd to me that the Senate Majority Leader can simply deep six any legislation they want. I don't understand how these people keep getting re-elected for doing nothing. Congress' popularity ratings are practically in the single digits, but we keep voting them back in. There should be some way to ensure that the Senate (regardless of whoever's in power) actually does their job. This scorched earth policy, party above country, is ruining us.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Heard today he is 77...time to retire

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
McConnell is the slime beneath the swamp. He only gets 33% approval rating in Kentucky. So yeah, I don't understand how he keeps getting elected.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Because apparently those 33% are the only folks that can get their butts to the polls....

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Or, they dislike him, but attack ads make them dislike his opponent even more.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
He's very effective, I'll give him that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post