well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    December DOTM contest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December DOTM contest
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Sharon and I both really like casseroles. All different kinds. Hotdish, fancy foo foo international concoctions, healthy, not so healthy, stovetop, oven, you name it.

So the challenge for December is to post your best casserole recipes. Not soup/stew recipes - casseroles can be eaten with a fork. Sharon and I may or may not make them but will certainly judge them.

The only hints I'll give you is that Sharon hates both mustard and pickles and I don't like canned tuna casseroles in any form.

Yummy

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26510 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Hoping this counts as casserole. We eat it with a fork! My family loves this; it’s perfect comfort food. Yes, the ingredients are pretty pre-fab. We don’t care.

Chicken Pie with biscuit crust

White meat from one Costco roast chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 pkg frozen mixed vegetables (10 oz? 12 oz?)
1 russet potato, diced fine

1 can reduced sodium/fat mushroom soup
1 can chicken broth
Juice from that Costco chicken, yum

2 C bisquick
1C milk
3/4 stick butter, melted

place chicken, vegetables, potato in bottom of baking dish
mix soup and broth and pour over chicken
mix bisquick/milk/melted butter, and spread over pie

bake 350 for one hour 'til brown and bubbly

Enjoy!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 7773 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That sounds really good! ThumbsUp

Posts: 26510 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
That sounds really good! ThumbsUp

I am making this for dinner tomorrow because I have to do a Costco run. We are almost out of white wine and toilet paper! Emergency!

Posts: 7773 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to enter this month's contest because I just won recently, but now that we've passed the cutoff, I thought I'd share this recipe from the NYT that I made last summer when eggplants were in plentiful supply from our garden. I used ground lamb because I like it and we had it in the freezer from the lamb we bought at the county fair.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 large firm eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch slices
• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
• 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 pound ground lamb or beef (80 percent lean)
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Black pepper
• ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
• ½ cup pine nuts
• 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce, or 3-½ cups homemade sauce
• 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced

PREPARATION
1. Heat broiler and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
2. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Arrange slices on prepared baking sheet and broil in batches until they are deep mahogany brown, turning once halfway through, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
3. Adjust the oven to 375 degrees with rack positioned in the center.
4. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, but not browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground lamb or beef, stirring frequently and breaking up meat into very small pieces with the side of a metal spoon. Season with remaining teaspoon salt, cinnamon and pepper. Sauté until meat is just cooked through. Taste and add more salt or pepper, or both, as needed.
5. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add pine nuts and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir nuts to coat them with butter and continue stirring constantly until nuts are golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Keep a close watch over the nuts; they can burn quickly once they begin to brown. Transfer nuts to a bowl while still warm and salt them lightly.
6. Coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of the dish. Lay 1/3 of the eggplant slices in a single layer over the sauce, covering as much surface area of the bottom of the dish as possible. Spoon half the meat evenly over eggplant. Pour 1/3 of the remaining tomato sauce evenly over meat. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the pine nuts. Layer again with eggplant, meat, tomato sauce and pine nuts. Finish with a layer of eggplant and cover with more tomato sauce, sprinkling top with pine nuts.
7. Pour 1 cup warm water around the perimeter of the baking dish. (Sauce will thicken as it bakes.) Cover pan with foil and bake for 90 minutes. Remove foil and top eggplant evenly with mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes longer, uncovered, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Serve eggplant warm, over rice.

The preparation is a little more complicated than many things I cook, but it was a delicious meal. I served it over brown rice. Next time, I wouldn't cook it as long as specified because the pine nuts became very soft. I also might think about adding the pine nuts later in the baking process, too.

Here's a link to the original recipe. The comments are extensive and may give some more ideas to people.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

Posts: 6361 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That sounds good too! ThumbsUp

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’ve chosen a picture, pinging Matt.

And I’ll think up something exciting for the new year...