well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Superbloom - and more!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superbloom - and more!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Be thankful you went when you did.

quote:
Lake Elsinore officials on Sunday closed Walker Canyon, citing a "public safety crisis" as visitors trampled blooms and caused traffic jams.

The town of 66,000 saw some 50,000 tourists visit en masse in a weekend.

Social media could be behind the incident, which began trending as #poppynightmare, authorities say.

After being overwhelmed by the massive influx of visitors on Friday through Sunday in what was described as an "unbearable" weekend, officials briefly shuttered access to the canyon on Sunday night.

But by Monday morning, the canyon was re-opened, with officials saying it was "not feasible for us to keep visitors away from Walker Canyon".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47615535

I’m not 100% sure, but I think Walker Canyon is the area we photographed from the freeway.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
This is definitely on my to-do list. Are there peak times in the southwest when the cacti and succulents are in bloom too?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s real iffy. You can go 10 years with no bloom and when you get a bloom it can start and end in just a week.

It has to do with rainfall and warm weather at just the right time. If you find a site that tracks it let me know. I’ll pick you up at the airport and we’ll all go!

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Hearty congratulations Steve!

Mr Pique and I talked about going to see the flowers, as we have in years past, but then we heard about the crowds and the mass destruction and the traffic. We're deathly allergic to all three, so we'll wait for our own superbloom here. We had record snow levels this winter so the bitterroots should be spectacular!

For those who want to keep abreast of these things, here's the web site we've always used to find out where and when to go.

Desertusa.com

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Turns out you can see the bloom in the Elsinore area from space!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good news and great pictures.
Tell Scott he could replace Vanna White, or maybe not.
"Weapons of Moth Destruction" Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Some idjit landed a helicopter in the middle of a flower field and commenced to hike.

Nice videos in the article. The opening sequence is on the hillside I posted pictures from.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Some idjit landed a helicopter in the middle of a flower field and commenced to hike.

Nice videos in the article. The opening sequence is on the hillside I posted pictures from.

Terrible chance of ruining Mother Nature.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
No mention in the article of whether there will be any prosecution effort made over this. There is a picture of the helicopter which means there is a registration #.

Any guesses as to who was in the helicopter?