well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Superbloom - and more!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superbloom - and more!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I woke up at midnight on Thursday to find Kim and Jeff standing on my porch. It took me a while to wake enough to figure out who they were and how they might have ended up there because we were not expecting them. Whatever - we let them in. Cool

Turns out they traveled all the way from Ohio to tell us that we are gong to become grandparents! Two grandkids in one year! We couldn't be happier!

Here are the parents-to-be:

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That's wonderful news, and they both look great.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We had already planned to go to the desert on Saturday to see the Superbloom. Our friends Scott and Sandy had arranged to come with and the San Diego TV stations were showing spectacular shots of how it looks. Being as they were already here, Kim and Jeff got to come with us.

The Superbloom turned out not to be all that Super so far, but pretty nonetheless. One of the most spectacular areas turned out to be alongside the interstate on the way to Borrego Springs - near Eric's house. Traffic was nearly stalled as we passed this hillside and there were hundreds of cars parked alongside the road as we drove by:

Here is a closeup of the poppies that a friend of ours took there yesterday:

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The bloom is happening only sporadically in this part of the lower desert. Maybe it's too early, and if it is I will go back in a week or two. We took a lot of pictures of this one hillside. You can't tell from the pictures but we could see how important micro climates are to these flowers. The flowers at the bottom of the hill are purple Sand Verbenas and a couple hundred yards up the hill they are mostly a yellow flower I don't know.

Let me show them to you:

Here are some of the yellow ones:

Kim took some closeups:

Mrs. Miller and Sandy - friends for over 40 years:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We went from the hill to a lookout area called "Font's point" some 4 miles back on a dirt road. Mrs. M. was not the least bit happy I was offroading her car and I was not all that sure I would not get stuck in the sandy sections of the road. My time tested strategy of speeding up whenever I saw sand (works in snow, too) did not make her any happier. I had packed a tow strap and there were many Jeeps about so I wasn't worried.

Let Scott show it to you:

On the way back we drove through a swarm of butterflies and Sharon's car became a Weapon of Moth Destruction.

It needed washing anyway. ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lovely family.

Wonderful friends.

Beautiful scenery.

Life doesn't get much better, does it? ThumbsUp

Oh, and congratulations, Gramps.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Like, Like, Like, Like, and Like!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! More reason to come to Ohio.

Love the Anza Borrego desert. Great place to camp and hike. The stars at night fairly blow your mind.

Have never been lucky enough to see it in bloom, though. Bucket list item.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, congratulations! And what a lovely way to spend the day!!

Flower

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Sounds your life itself is in superbloom this year! How great, Steve.

And what a wonderful way to announce the second bloom!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your super-blooming family!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Be thankful you went when you did.

quote:
Lake Elsinore officials on Sunday closed Walker Canyon, citing a "public safety crisis" as visitors trampled blooms and caused traffic jams.

The town of 66,000 saw some 50,000 tourists visit en masse in a weekend.

Social media could be behind the incident, which began trending as #poppynightmare, authorities say.

After being overwhelmed by the massive influx of visitors on Friday through Sunday in what was described as an "unbearable" weekend, officials briefly shuttered access to the canyon on Sunday night.

But by Monday morning, the canyon was re-opened, with officials saying it was "not feasible for us to keep visitors away from Walker Canyon".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47615535

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I miss the desert. What a wonderful time to be out and about there.

The yellow flower is desert marigold. Not sure of it's "real" name. I'm assuming there were also California (gold) poppies? So beautiful.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post