well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lawless Kids Ransacked a Walgreen

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawless Kids Ransacked a Walgreen
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
The Philadelphia police department posted this:

https://youtu.be/HocfYt3EM0s

Apparently a big group of kids just went into a Walgreen en masse and ransacked it. Not sure if anyone was injured, but it sure was anarchy.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The note at the front of the video says employees were injured by the kids throwing stuff.

They've got them all on video. I'd be surprised if they don't track most of them down.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Jesus.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Just a response to privilege in our supremacist, corporatist system ...

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
... or adolescents with no parents, no education and no future, and nothing to do....

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
... or adolescents with no parents, no education and no future, and nothing to do....

Well, I'm sure the prison/juvenile detention system will give them something to do.

At some point, you can't blame the failure to distinguish between right and wrong on your parents and on your upbringing. This isn't someone stealing bread or dealing drugs to feed themselves or their family, because they've run out of choices. This is straight-up vandalism, with a side helping of people getting hurt in the process, and a smidge of stupidity for not realizing in this day and age that there were cameras everywhere. Vandalism and following the pack occurs in every economic strata and isn't limited to any skin color. The kids who do it clearly didn't learn that following the pack, damaging property, and hurting people has consequences. So, now they'll learn.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Not offering an excuse, just an explanation.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Absolutely. Not offering an excuse, just an explanation.

I understand, but I disagree. Kids with parents, a solid education, a bright future, and all the money they could possibly need, can and do do similar stupid things.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow. I was surprised by the sheer number, the video said 60 I think? Just thinking about how hard it can be to get a few people to agree to plans, it's kind of stunning to think of such a large group participating in a group action... Not the point, I guess, but still.

I hope none of the injuries were serious. I imagine it would be terrifying to be in the middle of all that, not knowing what the ultimate goal was or how much it would escalate.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Now imagine there is a guy with a gun in that store, and he believes it's up to him to enforce the law ...

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Now imagine there is a guy with a gun in that store, and he believes it's up to him to enforce the law ...

Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, indeed. No kid, nor adult, should be shot for looting.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed. But people get angry. Guns and anger don't go well together. I wonder if a single one of those young people ever gave a thought to what might happen if ...

Groupthink and group activity can make the brain go dead numb.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Wow. I was surprised by the sheer number, the video said 60 I think? Just thinking about how hard it can be to get a few people to agree to plans, it's kind of stunning to think of such a large group participating in a group action... Not the point, I guess, but still.

I hope none of the injuries were serious. I imagine it would be terrifying to be in the middle of all that, not knowing what the ultimate goal was or how much it would escalate.

60? Meh.

Here's a real gathering in the making:

quote:
Imagine throngs of people who have never met each other assembling in mid-September before dawn in a Nevada desert town to rush the entrance of Area 51 in search of aliens.

It is a fantastical idea conceived of as a joke on social media, but its popularity has spread fast. On Monday, the number of people who signed up for the tongue-in-cheek Facebook call to "Storm Area 51" exceeded 1 million.

And now, U.S. military officials say they are monitoring the situation.

"The U.S. Air Force is aware of the Facebook event encouraging people to 'Storm Area 51,' " an Air Force spokesperson told NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/15...r-force-says-stay-ho

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post