well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Do you agree?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you agree?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...reat-jan6-elections/

quote:
We’re in danger of losing our democracy. Most Americans are in denial.

A year after the Jan. 6, 2021, storming of the Capitol, a CNN poll asked whether it’s likely “that, in the next few years, some elected officials will successfully overturn the results of an election.” Fifty-one percent of Republicans and 44 percent of Democrats said it’s not at all likely. Only 46 percent of Democrats and independents said that U.S. democracy is under attack, which helps to explain why Democratic candidates aren’t campaigning on defending democracy...

Republicans have succeeded in restricting voting rights in 19 states. Democrats have failed to protect voting rights at the national level because they can’t break a Senate filibuster. Meanwhile at least 23 supporters of the "big lie" — which holds that the 2020 election was stolen from former president Donald Trump — are running for secretary of state posts to oversee elections in 19 states. Other election deniers are joining election boards...

Fealty to the "big lie" has become a litmus test for GOP candidates because it has become gospel for Republican voters. More than 70 percent of Republicans regard Biden’s victory as illegitimate. Despite all the damning details that have emerged...

The rest of this WP columnist's opinion piece is interesting too, though much of it is admittedly, one man's opinion (while including telling quotes from former"Trumpkins").

This CNN poll statistic (headline to letter) is both appalling and incredible to me. What do WTF members think about this risk?

(I was unable to turn this into a poll, so I just hope you guys will provide your thoughts in replies.)

*bolding and italics mine

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I can't read the article because of the paywall. (I recently cancelled my WAPO subscriptions because, well, I wasn't reading it). But to the general question of, are we in danger of losing our democracy? Absolutely yes.

If you aren't already reading Heather Cox Richardson's daily "Letters from an American" (you can subscribe for free), then I suggest you do so. A highly regarded historian, she provides an incisive perspective on what is happening, writing history as it is happening.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Far down the slippery slope...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's a gift link for those without WaPo subscriptions.

https://wapo.st/3wnV90S

Can't remember if it's WaPo or NYT that limits the time that it can be read....but it's still like a couple of weeks...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We got through the 60’s.

We’ll get through this too.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
We got through the 60’s.

Well this proves the second part of the headline is correct.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
We got through the 60’s.

Well this proves the second part of the headline is correct.

+1

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
So the choices are:

1. Agree

2. You're in denial.

Kind of a two-headed coin there.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think we've already lost our democracy between the abuse of the electoral college, packing the Supreme Court, voter blocking, the (brilliant but awful) redistricting and gerrymandering and income polarization which has basically left us with an autocracy - perhaps as a prelude to a totalitarian state.

(And that's without even dealing with the specific events of January 6th and how the last election was handled.)

Worship of the Constitution when literal interpretations no longer make sense (for example the electoral college and gun control) has IMO paved the way to many modern undemocratic outcomes.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Do try 12 ft ladder if you want to get over a paywall..might not work for WaPo but works for my local paper. (I have a sub,so cannot say if it works)

12 Foot Ladder

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post