well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Google Voice Scam

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google Voice Scam
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I gave up on the Samsung washer and dryer and replaced them with a nice used set if LGs I found on Facebook Marketplace. Decided to try and sell them as the dryer is perfect and a service guy can probably make $ on the deal. I used to do that myself, back in the day, but washers were much simpler then.

Listed them on FB Marketplace and got some 20 responses in 15 minutes! Only thing was, they all want my phone number and then to accept a confirmation text. I’ve heard about this before -maybe we discussed it here.

I cancelled the listing then relisted a few hours later at a higher price OBO. That slowed things down.

Weird.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The scammers are everywhere. I always try to get them to give me a number first. Most real buyers will go for it or will just share it without being asked.

I set up a Google Voice number to use for stuff I sell on CL. That way I don't need to give out my real number. I figure it doesn't hurt.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And related to online marketplace selling...about Zelle..

I haven't done many Zelle transactions for my CL sales because they're usually low dollar, and I've insisted that people have to pay in cash. I sold some bookcases last year and did the Zelle thing and it worked out OK and I thought maybe this was the way to go and that once the money hit your account you were good.

I read recently that if someone claims their Zelle account was compromised/hacked that the bank will give them their money back.

I'm back to cash. Or donating stuff...it's getting not worth the hassle to deal with all the riff-raff....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Anyone who says they will send you a code and you have to send it back to them to prove you are who you say you are is a scammer. There's nothing about relaying a 6-digit code to a stranger that proves anything.

I got this when I put a "lost cat" ad up when Rusty got out the dining room window. Some guy replied within minutes saying he had my cat and demanded I send him the code to prove it was my cat. Ruh??? The best part: The text message with the code was in a slavic language.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've had one or two people back out of buying to selling something because I don't use zelle, painpal, cashapp, or anything else. Dead Presidents only.

Both my banjo teacher and cello teacher asked for painpal but accepted checks. I guess with a check, they can deposit it via an app on their phone.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
they all want my phone number and then to accept a confirmation text. I’ve heard about this before -maybe we discussed it here.

I haven't heard of this (and I have never sold anything to someone I didn't know) but it would be a huge red flag for me.

I would guess that the code is going to end up giving some permission that you don't actually want to give. But I have no idea, what's the purpose of it from the scammer's perspective?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It lets them set up a Google Voice number associated with your phone. From the FTC:

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consu...rks-and-how-avoid-it

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It lets them set up a Google Voice number associated with your phone

Eeker

Oh yeah, I think I did read about that. And obviously forgot it right away.

Still, what a nightmare that would be!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the number that “sent” the text to me was clearly spoofed.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I firmly oppose capital punishment but I might could be persuaded otherwise if it were applied to scammers, especially those who prey on the elderly and infirm.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post