well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tempe Police Officers Asked To Leave Starbucks Because They Made a Customer Feel Unsafe
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tempe Police Officers Asked To Leave Starbucks Because They Made a Customer Feel Unsafe
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
That’s the sensational headline. They were also given the alternative of getting out of the customer’s line of sight.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ona-starbucks-2019-7

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We have lost our minds.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20457 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
One wonders if the police will slow walk the next call from that Starbucks ...

Would be unprofessional, of course ...

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for the poor barista, who was placed in a hard situation by the snowflake customer. It sounds like everyone did the best they could given the circumstances.

I also wonder about the mindset of the police officers organization that thought the right course was to post this to social media....

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Why should anybody be asked to move for that reason? Utterly ridiculous.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
We have lost our minds.

Yes

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37897 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Why should anybody be asked to move for that reason? Utterly ridiculous.

"Unsafe" is the latest inarguable buzzword. How can you argue that someone should have to feel unsafe?

Kind of like the way schools use "safety" as a bulletproof excuse for anything they want to do.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I am very uncomfortable with this industry of outrage that we seem to be building via social media. For the record, I don't think the police did anything wrong. I think the person who felt "unsafe" needed to consider other alternatives. One that comes immediately to mind is to just go over and say hi to the cops. Or just leave. Life is full of minor annoyances. Not everything requires a full-scale reaction. I also feel like the cops who posted this to social media should have just sat on their hands. Outrage, Inc. is alive and well.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I can only think of one scenario where asking the officers to leave might be legitimate.

In poorly run police departments, there can be a culture of retaliation against citizens who file complaints. An officer does something, you complain, and the next thing you know you are being followed around by the officer's friends (or the officer herself) for no reason. This extra police scrutiny is calculated to be intimidating, hopefully enough to get the person to drop the complaint. This sort of thing can also happen if a spouse has a domestic violence incident with an officer or applies for a temporary restraining order -- the officer's friends decide to subtly send a message to that spouse. Sadly, it happens.

If that were the case -- if the customer walked up to the barista and said she had filed a complaint or TRO and now these officers were following her -- then they could legitimately be asked to leave.

That is the only sensible possible explanation for this I can come up with.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
. The Tempe Officers Association claims "such treatment has become all too common in 2019"

Yes, well. Maybe the police should change some of their practices and then the public might feel safer when they are around instead of the opposite.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I can only think of one scenario where asking the officers to leave might be legitimate.

In poorly run police departments, there can be a culture of retaliation against citizens who file complaints. An officer does something, you complain, and the next thing you know you are being followed around by the officer's friends (or the officer herself) for no reason. This extra police scrutiny is calculated to be intimidating, hopefully enough to get the person to drop the complaint. This sort of thing can also happen if a spouse has a domestic violence incident with an officer or applies for a temporary restraining order -- the officer's friends decide to subtly send a message to that spouse. Sadly, it happens.

If that were the case -- if the customer walked up to the barista and said she had filed a complaint or TRO and now these officers were following her -- then they could legitimately be asked to leave.

I'm surprised that you of all people, Cindy, can only come up with this one possible explanation for a legit reason to ask cops to leave. How about if the complainant was a person of color? What if they were someone who had suffered abuse from the police?

Police are increasingly seen more as bullies and less as peace officers.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if they were someone who had suffered abuse from the police?

But the logical extension of that becomes unsustainable very fast.

What if I had experience abuse from a man. Could I ask all men to leave the shop? What if I had experienced abuse from an Arab person. Could I ask all Arabs to leave the shop?

Also, I agree with what Nina said:
quote:
I am very uncomfortable with this industry of outrage that we seem to be building via social media.

It's one thing to speak out against police brutality. It's another to be in a coffee shop, where some officers are there drinking coffee, and ask *someone else* to ask those officers to leave.

I like Nina's suggestion of going over and saying hi to the officers. Or even "Hi, I'm against police brutality, and these days I feel really uncomfortable around police officers just in general. What can you do to help me get over that?"

Then they could all sit down together and talk about what it means to protect and serve, and the barista could all serve them some free lattes.

/UtopianCoffeeShop.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18470 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, or if there were something personal with one of the cops. But that’s it.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

I'm surprised that you of all people, Cindy, can only come up with this one possible explanation for a legit reason to ask cops to leave. How about if the complainant was a person of color? What if they were someone who had suffered abuse from the police?

Wait. So only people of color can eject cops from a place where the officers have every right to be? White people dont have that right?

I’m also not thrilled with the groupism in that way of thinking. If you have a beef with a member of a group, you can take it out for on others in that group?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

Wait. So only people of color can eject cops from a place where the officers have every right to be? White people dont have that right?

Um. That is not what I said. I gave it as an example of other possibilities. The other possibility I gave had nothing to do with race.

quote:
I’m also not thrilled with the groupism in that way of thinking. If you have a beef with a member of a group, you can take it out for on others in that group?

Didn't say that either. Nor did I endorse this behavior. The point of what I wrote is that police have only themselves to blame for their bad PR. Does that justify a customer asking the police to leave? I dont think so. But the fact that this happened is a reminder that the police have a serious, and well deserved image problem.

That is, assuming the customer did not have a personal issue with these particular officers.

Even if they did, I think they should have just left the cafe themselves rather than asking the barista to ask the cops to leave.

We need more information to know what the cause of the request was. But cops making people uncomfortable is very real and really must be addressed.