well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Got Cartiva?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got Cartiva?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Had surgery this morning to install Cartiva in my big toe joint.
The joint had been growing bone spurs for at least 28 years. The bone spurs have been causing ski boot problems that long.
The Cartiva is synthetic cartilage which was installed in my big toe joint.
Just had the first Percocet. The local used on my foot is wearing off.

Cartiva

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If only I-1 could have gotten that ... he could have gone to Vietnam instead of playing tennis and avoiding STDs.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
So far, so good.
The doc looked at it today. The stitches are ok.
Stitches come out in two weeks.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
So far, so good.
The doc looked at it today. The stitches are ok.
Stitches come out in two weeks.

Oh what a relief it is...!!!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I missed your original post. Let us know how you're getting along. How's the pain level 2 days out?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
If only I-1 could have gotten that ... he could have gone to Vietnam instead of playing tennis and avoiding STDs.

We know how very sorry he is to have missed the opportunity to do his patriotic duty (reminds me - anybody read about his new executive order instating a new national program providing kids a course in Patriotism? What say you it features a haloed story of our current president?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Had surgery this morning to install Cartiva in my big toe joint.
The joint had been growing bone spurs for at least 28 years. The bone spurs have been causing ski boot problems that long.
The Cartiva is synthetic cartilage which was installed in my big toe joint.
Just had the first Percocet. The local used on my foot is wearing off.

Cartiva

Congratulations on this "at last" breakthrough in your comfort level, especially skiing!

I guess it was impossible until Cartiva was invented and fine-tuned. Had never heard of it until now. I would be thrilled if it could be injected between all my spinal vertebrae where all the cartilage has long worn out! Every single one has been herniated since I was 50. I want a refund!)

Now to go google it. Edit: I see you saved me the trouble. Smiler

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
But I see it's only for the big toe.
Never mind, I see there are surgeons not that far from me able to perform this surgery (and my big toe is in painful shape too - also making it hard to wear shoes).

Appears to be outpatient surgery (is this true?) What I worry about is whether you have to wear those bulky boots during the healing process. They kill my spine.

When you're up to it, CHAS please provide feedback about this.

And wishing you smooth healing meanwhile. I always hate the transition from the local to (what is hopefully) adequate oral pain relief.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Hoping it does everything you want it to do ...

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
After a night of short naps and too much pain I switched to Tylenol and ibuprofen. That switch made a profound improvement in pain levels and attitude.
I am walking and gong up and down the stairs slowly, avoiding using the big toe part of my foot. Wearing a stiff plastic boot on that foot when I am up and about.
I expect improvement and less sorness in coming days. The big toe will not have the same range of use as before the trouble started, but I expect to walk and ski better this winter.