well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How bad is your air quality?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How bad is your air quality?
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Staten Island NY, 1:29 AM: 183 on the weather app, 213 on the airnow app.

Distinct burning smell in the air. Windows closed.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I checked AccuWeather and our AQI is 31.

quote:
Fair

The air quality is generally acceptable for most individuals. However, sensitive groups may experience minor to moderate symptoms from long-term exposure.

We've had air quality alerts a few times over the last several weeks, including yesterday. The skies have been oddly grey and hazy during that time, but nothing like NY is seeing.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that, Joe. I hope it improves soon.

The air quality here is very good because I live by the coast. The air and water quality are 10x better than Tampa, an industrial, port city, with unfavorable geography, no matter what anyone might tell you.

Posts: 24713 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
66 (poor) right now in Pittsburgh with PM2.5 yielding that reading. PM5.0 is 54, also poor, while O3 is 24 (fair) and NO2 is 3 (excellent).

Our current air quality is attributed to the widespread Canadian wildfires blowing smoke our way. Most of western Pennsylvania is under an air quality warning, as is the Cleveland, Ohio area today.

I wonder how much the various wildfires in recent years contribute to greenhouse gas emissions compared to other sources. They also would, I think, diminish some of the CO2 sinks, although I have no idea whether regrowth increases CO2 absorption over the longer term.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24713 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
On a scale of 1 to 500 for air quality, NY topped out at 484 today.

HairRaising

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m very sorry. We’ve been through the same thing with wildfires here in the Pacific Northwest. Not fun, and so eerie looking. Do you have an air purifier? Not a bad thing to always have on hand. Your mask isn’t fine enough to keep the particulate matter out.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nothing like NY and other affected areas, but I was surprised to see that there’s an air quality alert down here as well (due to the Canadian fires). On the AQI map, we were orange but now we’re down to yellow.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
152 (Unhealthy)

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We are at 325 today—hazardous for anyone. Have not been outside except briefly, but noticed that the KN-95 does seem to make it bearable. But I know it’s not the ultimate protection.

My throat is scratchy and eyes tired, even just being indoors.

Fortunately I don’t have business or shopping around the city that would necessitate a lot of travel at the moment.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’re at 155 today. Hard to believe because nothing looks any different.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We didn't see a huge change either, except that the sky is more gray than blue on sunny days.

And we've had some pretty brilliant sunsets that are due to the particulate matter in the air.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post

We look good today.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I have two large air purifiers and three a/c units. Have spent too many smoky summers days with them running.
As an asthmatic the smoke gets to me.
This year it started raining in the afternoons and a few mornings. That has kept the air cleaner than usual.
The smoke from Canada is not coming here and the rain may be the reason there have not been local wildfires.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:

We look good today.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post