well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    They don't agree on COVID

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They don't agree on COVID
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://www.npr.org/2023/02/07...household-compromise

Personally, I think the woman asking for advice is downright cavalier.

However, the reality of one person taking a risk the other won't take can be a problem, e.g. two people live together, one wears masks, and the other won't wear them.

Posts: 24687 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting problem for the couple, and I definitely see both sides of the situation. I thought the things the epidemiologist said were spot on.

The husband's hunkering down strategy is an approach I totally understand, but I'm not sure the risk/reward profile in 2023 is like what we were facing in 2020. Sometimes we just get locked into an approach without reassessing our perspective when information changes.

I also totally understand the wife's position that the kids' emotional needs should be taken into consideration.

On a (sort of) related note that demonstrates the complexities...my friend's BIL was invited over for dinner by some neighbors while his wife was out of town helping a friend who had hip replacement surgery. After he was there for an hour, they mentioned that they have COVID. He was livid. He's in his 70s and diabetic, classic high risk person. All during the pandemic he's been refusing to see his family members who wouldn't mask when they came over. He left immediately.

Well, the worst happened...two days after the dinner he was down hard with chills and fever. His daughter went over to check on him last Sunday and ended up taking him to the hospital where he waited in the ER for nine hours and eventually got admitted for a racing heartbeat. In his case it was his heart, not his lungs, that was affected. Last I checked with my friend on Thursday, the BIL was still in the hospital because they can't get the heart to settle down.

Life is full of risks. We can only do so much to control them.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
After he was there for an hour, they mentioned that they have COVID.

OMG!!!!!! What is wrong with people???

I'm so sorry for your friend's BIL.

I wonder when we're going to start seeing lawsuits for this kind of thing....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18389 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I would want to sue them, in that situation.

"Oh, btw, we put poison in your drink."

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21315 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
OMG!!!!!! What is wrong with people???

This.

Some things you can apologize for. This is not forgivable. This is the kind of behavior that ruptures friendships forever.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
An update on my friend's BIL....

His recovery from his bout with COVID is not going very well. He's on meds for his heart, has been referred to a cardiologist, and has the post-COVID brain fog.

The regimen for the new meds is complicated. His wife checked his pill box and saw that he had them totally wrong. She asked him about it and he said he knows his brain isn't working right and he couldn't figure out which pills to put in which compartments of his weekly pill organizer.

Meanwhile, the neighbors who gave him COVID are pleading "please don't be mad at us." So far, my friend's sister and the hubby are still mad at them....they're facing the prospect of long COVID and a complete change in how they were living their lives. They're not feeling especially forgiving right now. Can't say as I blame them one bit.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'd sue, definitely. How irresponsible can you be?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13541 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the neighbors who gave him COVID are pleading "please don't be mad at us."

Wow. What a complete lack of understanding, and self-awareness.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18389 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Please don't be mad at us?? Seriously??

If they have any plea it should be "please don't sue us for every last cent we have."

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21315 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm reading this now and am totally shocked that anyone would go out and about knowing they had COVID.

Yes, they should consider legal action, for no other reason than to cover what may be significant medical bills.

"Don't be mad at us?" Grow up.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
It's particularly incongruous given that they apparently thought they were providing a kindness by having him to dinner.

On the other hand, people putting their own desires above the health of others has a long history. Does anyone recall "Typhoid Mary" or frightening stories of people knowing they had HIV infections and still choosing to participate in unprotected sex?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7396 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post