well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Glore House

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glore House
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It's a FLW house I have not heard of before. You can tell Wright designed it but it's different from his more usual stuff.

I like it - a little more traditional than most of his work. It's very open and looks more comfortable than other Wright designs I have seen. I wouldn't want to air condition it (or heat it - Lake Forest, IL), but I suppose if you can afford the purchase you can afford the power bill.

The translucent roof is really cool. I wonder what it is made out of?

Charles F. Glore house

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Let me put this house here as well. Totally different from the Wright house, totally spectacular and the price seems quite reasonable.

Upkeep, OTOH.... Leaving

Lots of pictures.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Those are both fun to look at.

When I was applying for a job is North Carolina, there was a house that had so many features in common with the FLW house that I feel sure it was inspired by it. I notice that there are no shots of the kitchen, which tells me that one would have to survive on takeout and a toaster oven, but it would be worth it. Wow.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Frankie house is cool but seems unlivable. Too many chopped up rooms and weird angles that make furniture placement challenging.

There are kitchen photos in the realtor's listing, MA, if you're interested:

http://www.premierlistingshowc...6/02/27377/index.php

The old house is also cool, especially the fireplaces, but that era isn't my fave because there's so much going on visually. In my dotage I seem to want less and less stuff to look at.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The FLW house is stunningly beautiful. I would feel a bit... ummmm... exposed.

I thought that his houses came furnished... and most of the "furniture" is built in.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like them both.
The old one would require a carriage and a pair of horses out front.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The kitchen is lovely!

Pardon me while I hock everything we own but our toothbrushes and the clothes on our back, so that we can move right in.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
The FLW house is stunningly beautiful. I would feel a bit... ummmm... exposed.

I thought that his houses came furnished... and most of the "furniture" is built in.

True of earlier houses, later houses not so much. The Glore house was 1951, one of his last Prairie houses. Later houses were rarely provided with furnishings.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
The Ohio house roof lines are amazing to look at and YIKES to repair!!! Very cool website..It features a house in my fair city..but it does not show the lot..

The interior is amazing..good thing...as you have barely a space to park your car outside, let alone have a bbq. In our city that is common as most homes were built in the day before cars...Folks walked to work or took the trolley.

Still, folks love this place...As do I. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post