well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What Sorcery is This?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Sorcery is This?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
"It's a bread machine. Remember?"

"Oh. I didn't know we still had it. Where did you find it?"

"In the back of the pantry, under a macrame owl. I'm going to make some bread with it."

"Does it still work?"

"I'll let you know in 3 hours and 40 minutes."

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mine was crowded off the counter tops.
Liked it, but the Queen of the Kitchen,Don, said it had to go.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I want to see the macrame owl! Smiler

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well? It should have cooled by now, and you are getting ready for dinner.

How is the bread?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Well, the good news is that the bread maker works fine. The bad news is that the bread I made is not very good. It’s heavy - very dense. No crumbs when I cut it.

I didn’t use the recipe I used to make. I just picked one off the net so maybe that’s the problem. I realized after I started that the wheat flour I used likely dates back to the last time I used the machine - maybe 10 years ago, maybe longer. I’m not sure what happens to flour when it gets that old. The yeast is fresh so that’s not it. The recipe has oats in it and oat bread is always pretty dense.

Normally I’d get some new flour and make another loaf but I’m not sure I’ll do that. The reason I took the machine out of the cupboard was to set it out for donation because we never use it. I should probably go ahead with that plan but now it sounds like admitting defeat.

We’ll see.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Gosh, that sounds a lot like my day.

I noticed some chicken in the freezer that was... ummm... a little old. I got the old crockpot out. I was trying to use up some Market Spice "Indian" curry powder that is... ummmmm... old. Didn't have any tomato puree or chunks, so I tossed in a can of coconut milk instead. It, too, was probably old.

I usually make tomato curry. I guess coconut milk separates, congeals, and curdles a bit when you cook it a long time. And the curry powder had lost its zing... I added a pinch of Market Spice "Vindaloo" to give it some punch. At least the chicken cooked up tender. But on the whole, it was kind of a bust.

Now the crockpot is soaking. It may take some serious persuasion to get the cooked-on coconut goo out.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
OK PJ, that does it. I have to try the classic PJ’s Chicken Curry, subbing tomatoes for the coconut milk. Sounds divine.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I was never impressed with the bread machine I had. The crust was always overdone and too hard. The best bread I have ever made is the no knead kind that you basically leave on the counter for 6-8 hours (you don’t have to do it overnight as long as you use warm water for your yeast) and put in a very hot Dutch oven that you have heated in the regular oven. It’s amazing, and so easy. Works for pizza dough too, just mixing it up quickly and leaving it on the counter for 8 or so hours. Perfect crust.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
jodi, are you at liberty to post a recipe for that?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've had bread machine bread that was fabulous, but my bread machine was a bust. The bread just wouldn't rise. I tried lots of recipes and got marginally acceptable results for one that called for an egg, but it was essentially a big failure. My friend couldn't understand it, because hers was so bulletproof that she could walk away, remember that she forgot a critical ingredient, throw it in, and have great bread.

I didn't give it to Goodwill. I threw it away.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
We had a bread machine until it vibrated itself off the kitchen counter one day and broke into pieces.

My wife then bought a proofer that folds up when not in use so it doesn't take too much space in the cupboard. The ability to control the temperature and humidity while raising the bread has really made bread making a reliable process at our house. We'd never go back to the bread machine.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Liked the Cuisinart bread machine I had.
Used the mixes.
Always liked the bread.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm reading that my big mistake was not using instant yeast or bread machine yeast. Apparently it makes a big difference.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Farewell Bread Machine - you no longer spark joy.

In fact you rather irritate me.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Farewell Bread Machine - you no longer spark joy.

In fact you rather irritate me.

Big Grin
schadenfreude