Find
Notify
Tools

Snow!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We're getting our first measurable snow of the season; it will be the latest first snow ever.

Meanwhile out west, my friend who lives in Sequim, WA, where it rarely snows, is digging out from over a foot of snow that fell a few days ago.

And California:

quote:
With four days left to go in the month, Lake Tahoe has already broken the record for December snowfall set 50 years ago.

On Monday, December snow totals at the UC Berkeley Central Sierra Snow Lab reached 193.7 inches, blowing a 1970 record of 179 inches out of the water.

The lab, located at Donner Pass, has received roughly 39 inches of snow in the past 24 hours and could break the 200-inch mark today.

The lab was built in 1946 by the U.S. Weather Bureau and Army Corps of Engineers and maintains one of the longest-running manual snow depth records in the world, dating back to 1879.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lak...ember-120923865.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Yup , I’m just about 45 minutes from Lake Tahoe. Record December snowfall number you’re seeing is before the foot or two they’re expecting tonight.

It’s real Purdy looking out my window.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it is. Hoping it's a drought buster that recharges the reservoirs and the soils.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
In suburban Seattle, we got three inches Sunday night. We cleared the driveway and went to the store yesterday. We got another inch early this morning and it’s snowing lightly right now. I have a doctor appointment in a couple hours.

Sequim is one of the driest towns in the state despite being on the coast. It’s in the rain shadow of Mount Olympus.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I think they got a foot and a half in Bellingham. We’ve got a few inches, plus it’s super cold (-5 F currently). Pique’s weather has been even colder.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We’ve just had dustings in PDX, and finally got a bit more overnight. But not more than a couple inches? Just enough to look pretty. We’re working from home today, but we usually do anyway.

Lots of snow to the north and south of us. I’m jealous/not jealous.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, no measurable snowfall in CLE for the whole month of December.

The last time this happened was 1931.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
69F here yesterday.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're in one of the higher areas of the Portland metro area. Our 1-2 inches of accumulated snow is at least 6 inches. I'm guessing we've had close to a foot since Christmas eve. I'm ready for it to be over.

That's beyond odd that you all have had no snow in Ohio....

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Snow on the way tomorrow....could be 8 inches or more, so a little interesting...lake effect snow is involved, which is always a wild card.

Mr wtg just got some fresh gasoline and powered up the snow blower to be sure it would start.

We're all set. crazypilot

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yowza. The East Coast sure got slammed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...out-power/ar-AASpFIh

We got a very manageable 6 or 7 inches of snow over the weekend....blast of colder weather over the next few days, but nothing like what jodi has been seeing....

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We got about 10 inches in Santa Fe a few days ago. Digging out of that was ... fun -- not. Back home now in the Burg. A light dusting on the lawn. Nothing like our friends in NoVa.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Our weather treat for today is ICE!

HairRaising

Driveway looked damp but I wasn't expecting it to be as slick as it is. We're not supposed to get much (like not enough to bring power lines down), but this is already nasty stuff and it's just started.

Getting the dog out for his business is going to be interesting....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Argh!

I wouldn't take a chance outdoors in such weather without wearing cleats - I'm sure you are cautious and knowledgable enough to have sets. Without, I miss getting my mail for days sometimes, especially living on a hill.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Oh, no. I see our forecast is for the infamous Central PA combo - meltish snow in the day, not even enough to be measured.

That followed by drizzle which freezes treacherously at night, guaranteed invisibly.
Sometimes, it gets covered by thin white layer the following day - most dangerous on front steps if I haven't remembered the preceding forecast which alerts me to what's underneath.

(Source of broken ankle eight years ago).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post