well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Goodbye, Kirstjen. edit: And also 'Tex'
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodbye, Kirstjen. edit: And also 'Tex'
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Yea, and he has no qualms about undoing any decision made at any level if the whim strikes him.

Like I wuz sayin:

quote:
President Donald Trump has declared on more than one occasion that he’s smarter than America’s military leaders.

And with his unprecedented decision Monday to designate Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a foreign terrorist group, he’s setting up another test of that thesis.

Trump chose to overrule the Pentagon after National Security Adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo advised that the top brass' warnings about risks to U.S. troops are overblown, several officials with direct knowledge of the deliberations told POLITICO.

The president’s move came despite Pentagon officials’ warnings that it could lead to retaliatory attacks against U.S. troops by Iranian-backed forces in the Middle East and threats from Iranian leaders that U.S. troops could face “consequences.”

“Like most things Iran-related, DoD opposed,” said a senior defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity to describe ongoing tensions between the White House National Security Council, which has mounted a “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran, and a Pentagon brass that has cautioned against unnecessary provocations.

Iran's response:

quote:
In response to Monday's decision, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif asked Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to declare U.S. Central Command, the American military headquarters responsible for the Middle East, a terrorist organization, Iranian state-run media reported.

Well, that went well.

https://www.politico.com/story...ard-pentagon-1261448

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Does she have a middle name? We have two threads about her. Maybe we can have three.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Dana Milbank was much less charitable than Max Boot, and more accurate, I think...

Nielson's Attempt to Suck Up Ended Badly. It Always Does

And this gem about those who choose to work in this depraved government.

quote:
“Flailing administration seeks Cabinet secretary willing to sacrifice dignity for employer’s vanity. No relevant experience needed. Successful candidate must be morally flexible. Familiarity with abusive personalities a plus. Willingness to be publicly humiliated required. Employee will be fired in about 12 months and thereafter be permanently unemployable. Non-disclosure agreement mandatory. Interested candidates should contact the prison warden.”

Posts: 12536 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
“Ms. Nielsen consistently stood
For evil and said it was good.
She fears this endeavor
May haunt her forever,
And yes, absolutely, it should.”

(From twitter)

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
+ 1000 to those last two posts from P*D and jon. And also Big Grin Big Grin .

Nielsen reminds me of the person in a dysfunctional couple who always thinks they'll be the one to "change" the other person. Nope, not ever. You'd think she'd have learned this lesson before now (assuming that she's even learned it now).

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The people who are trying to make sure Nielsen doesn't get a soft landing:

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/9/1...roHe4gnHPzyXT0CYvK9k

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Dan Drezner thinks they'll succeed.

Does Nielson Deserve Rehabilitation

Drezner thinks it not, and that it's unlikely anyone will take the risk publicly.

Love this line about working in the Trump administration:

quote:
More generally, we are clearly in a new equilibrium when it comes to new Trump hires. Before, Trump’s toxicity and hostility to mainstream GOP hands meant that he was scraping the bottom of the GOP barrel. As more and more policy principals leave the administration with their reputations in tatters, recruitment will be a problem. Trump is now scraping the bottom of the bottom of the barrel.

Like Cain and Moore.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
The people who are trying to make sure Nielsen doesn't get a soft landing:

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/9/1...roHe4gnHPzyXT0CYvK9k
. Liberty university is hiring.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post