well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Medicare
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicare
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted
Medicare is pretty confusing, perhaps more so because I didn't sign up at age 65 since I still had health insurance through work.

In the end I decided to go with a Medicare "Advantage" Plan, a PPO network that provides most of my part A, Part B, Supplemental and drug services.

This was helpful:

jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I thought everybody figured this out in middle age as they help a parent or an inlaw figure out part D.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Not here.

My mother was sharp, active, and a nurse who had worked in a peer review job that required her to interact with insurance companies on a daily basis. She did it all herself.

My father, alas, did not live to qualify for Medicare.

I'm not sure whether Quirt had to help his mom and his father also did not live that long.

We're going to have to navigate those waters for the first time when our time comes.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
My parents figured it out too.

Rachel's step father thought he had too, but when we were forced to get involved with their finances I discovered he really didn't have it figured out.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Oh, and it was helpful to me shortly thereafter because when I got very sick I became eligible myself.

I never really used it to pay for anything, because it was secondary to one of our corporate-provided plans, but I still had to know what to sign up for, or not.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is anyone besides me putting off various procedures until they qualify for Medicare?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hi

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
My parents figured it out I guess. So many choices! But a huge bargain compared to what my firm was paying for me.

Jf

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Oh, and it was helpful to me shortly thereafter because when I got very sick I became eligible myself.

I never really used it to pay for anything, because it was secondary to one of our corporate-provided plans, but I still had to know what to sign up for, or not.

Um, no way you are old enough for Medicare.

Jf

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Right. But you get qualify if you're sufficiently disabled, as I was.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Don is 61 and has a combo of Medicare and Medicaid.
He gets that because he is terminal.
I think he has been terminal for nearly 2 1/2 years. Not sure how long one can be terminal, but am sure 45 is working on it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think what’s going to be fun is retiring a year before my wife, buying the most expensive supplemental plan I can find and spend a year on a complete overhaul.

Let’s hit the retirement ground running! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Don is 61 and has a combo of Medicare and Medicaid.
He gets that because he is terminal.
I think he has been terminal for nearly 2 1/2 years. Not sure how long one can be terminal, but am sure 45 is working on it.

LOL.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I turn 65 in September and man, do i get a ton of “helpful” mail. I’ve read none of it so far. I’m covered under Mrs kluurs insurance at the moment but plan to sort out my optios this summer.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Someone should sue the Federal government for age discrimination.

Boom! Medicare for all!

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post