well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Medishare

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medishare
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We went to dinner last night with some good friends. Really good friends. We kind of drifted apart after the 2016 election because they are loud and vocal Trumpsters but we agreed not to discuss politics and we are tight again.

Last night I learned about Medishare and I’m worried for them. You can google it - there is lots of info on the net. I think it’s a scam. My friends have dropped medical insurance in favor of Medishare. Worse than that, they’ve talked their son and DIL in to trusting Medishare to cover them and their two small children.

I didn’t say anything and probably won’t. They’re Evangelical. They believe this stuff. In fact they’ll believe damned near anything. But she has huge medical issues and eventually the various faith healers she trusts are going to throw up their hands. Never mind the colonics and what all else.

The internet has taught me to keep my mouth shut.

Ugh.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34839 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes, I just read about medishare, it does sound like a scam!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18323 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was alerted to Medishare-like plans by an insurance agent a few years ago. She mentioned one of them in passing as a lower cost alternative and left me to do my own homework. I decided pretty quickly there was no way I'd even consider it.

I've seen a bunch of reviews, but this one stands out as being especially balanced and complete.

https://www.wellsteps.com/blog...ce-medishare-review/

Sounds like your friends aren't likely to listen to the facts. That's too bad; hope it doesn't come back to haunt them in a big way.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I am truly dismayed that something like Medishare that is overtly discriminatory is even legal in this country.

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
A claimed 300,000 people are members? If you go on an average monthly premium of $650, that's $2.3 billion in revenue every year.

What happens if just 10% of those people have major medical expenses claims.

30,000 people have an average of $500,000 in claims is $15 billion.

This practice should be illegal. Even if you double the premiums (which is about what we are paying for real insurance) it is still unsustainable. No wonder they make everything a pre-existing condition and paying for basically nothing. So, how do they get around the law? I don't get it.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of Medishare until I read these posts. It seems pretty iffy, though I'm not sure if "scam" is the right word. It sounds like it functions as intended, but it's just carpy insurance. The pre-existing part rules it out as a viable option for our family, under any circumstance. However, the JudeoChristian aspect, quite honestly, would be a total deal breaker for me. It is religious discrimination, pure and simple. As the writer in WTG's link states, "Jesus didn't turn anyone away." I couldn't agree more.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
A claimed 300,000 people are members? If you go on an average monthly premium of $650, that's $2.3 billion in revenue every year.

What happens if just 10% of those people have major medical expenses claims.

30,000 people have an average of $500,000 in claims is $15 billion.

This practice should be illegal. Even if you double the premiums (which is about what we are paying for real insurance) it is still unsustainable. No wonder they make everything a pre-existing condition and paying for basically nothing. So, how do they get around the law? I don't get it.

I believe an exception for this type of crap was built into the law, as part of the compromises necessary to get it passed.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Jesus.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
A claimed 300,000 people are members? If you go on an average monthly premium of $650.

As it was explained to me it is even weirder than that.

You get emails describing someone else’s need to pay a medical bill. If you like the story you send them a check directly. You get to decide how big that check is or whether to send it at all.

I assume there is some sort of monthly fee you pay for the privilege of deciding who lives and who dies but by the time we got to that point my wife was kicking me under the table and I clammed up.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34839 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the "how it works" page, including a video:

https://mychristiancare.org/how-does-it-work

I'm not sure....if you don't allocate your share to a particular person, does Medi-share do it for you?

I just can't believe that people sign up for this.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Interesting review. Pretty objective, written by a doctor who was in medishare for a couple of years. He really wanted it to work. He found out it really doesn't.

https://www.wellsteps.com/blog...ce-medishare-review/

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
When I retired, I looked into Medi-share.

"if it sounds good to be true..."

I decided it was too risky. I still have a number of years buying my own insurance. It is pricy... Confused

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post