well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Does anyone subscribe to Consumer Reports?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone subscribe to Consumer Reports?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Do you think it's worth it? There are two or three different plans, $35/year, $55/year, $7.95/month...

I want to read ratings for lawn mowers and other lawn tools, washing machines & dryers, HVAC maybe... what else?? Internet... That's it for the short run.

Hmmm, guess I'll go google "reviews of consumer reports" .... seems kinda meta...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Googling got me to this

quote:
Using Consumer Report for reviews is like buying stuff using the Sears Catalog. It's outdated.

As the young kids say "I feel personally attacked right now"

hysteric

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It’s part of Apple News. I haven’t checked whether you need a separate subscription or not.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I think its worth getting a few months when you buy a new house. You'll buy enough stuff to make it worthwhile, or at least I did when I moved in to this place.

Or you can rely on Amazon and Home Depot reviews, which are free and not a bad option. Yes, some can be faked, but I think generally they still lead you in the right direction.

But spending 30-40 bucks on a few months of CR seems worth it to me.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll probably subscribe, I need to check the Apple News option and also Amazon's option.

I found an article about some of CR's strugles for relevance in the internet age, this quote caught my eye:

quote:
All this, however, is hardly the first obstacle Consumer Reports has faced. In 1940, the House Un-American Activities Committee listed the organization as a subversive operation for its suspected ties to communism. Consumer Reports replied in the form an editorial, stating, “If the condemnation of worthless, adulterated, and misrepresented products is a communistic activity, then the Federal Food and Drug Administration, the Federal Trade Commission, and the American Medical Association must be paid direct from Moscow.” In 1954, Consumer Reports was dropped from committee’s list, and has continued to educate the public ever since.

https://www.theatlantic.com/bu...mazon-review/477108/

That's pretty badass.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It’s full stories, no subscription needed.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That articles als had a recommendation for thewirecutter.com, which I sometimes see in the NYT but has way more stuff reviewed than I realized.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
It’s full stories, no subscription needed.

ThumbsUp

Wait, do I have a subscription to Apple News? I feel like I have the icon on my phone but never open it?? And I'm not paying any monthly for that...

Time for more googling...

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I had it for a while when I moved. I used it far more than I thought I would. Their used car buying guide is indispensable, btw.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I was a long long time subscriber, but gave it up seven or eight years ago when it just stopped being very useful to me.

Cheapskate tip: Most local libraries have a subscription, and you can flip through the last six or seven issues to see if there’s a topic that’s on your to do list.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Amazon offers a Kindle subscription with a 30-day free trial period, so I signed up for that. The annual fee through Amazon is $24 btw, while on the CR website it's $35... Hmm.

But the CR website offers a few other types of subscriptions not available through Amazon.

I have option fatigue.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I paid the $35/year when I was shopping for a new dishwasher.
I was not aware of option to get it through Amazon/Kindle.
I do not regret paying it.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I was a long long time subscriber, but gave it up seven or eight years ago when it just stopped being very useful to me.

Cheapskate tip: Most local libraries have a subscription, and you can flip through the last six or seven issues to see if there’s a topic that’s on your to do list.
That's pretty much my story, too. It was very helpful as a homeowner, but I ended up only reading a few pages of each edition, and about a fourth of the Car issue. When I need a review, I go to the public library.

Call me frugal.

Nevertheless, it was well worth the subscription, and even when I stopped reading it cover-to-cover, I did feel good about supporting the work they do.

Interesting tidbit: When the Chrysler K-cars came out, CR reviewed them and said, "hey, these look pretty good, are reasonably priced, and if you need a small, affordable car, buy one." As we now know, Chrysler K-cars were car-shaped rolling piles of feces. That was the last time CR ever recommended a car model that was less than three or four years old. They review new cars, but they won't recommend one... they just say "it's too new to recommend".

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We have a subscription; I’m not sure why. But I used it recently to pick a new dishwasher. The 30 year old one finally died.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So the Amazon subscription is only for the kindle version of the print magazine, it doesn’t include access to the website or archives.

So I just canceled that subscription and I think I’ll resubscribe through their website.