well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    41% of Republicans will not get vaccinated (PBS)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

41% of Republicans will not get vaccinated (PBS)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I get my flu shot too. It would be fine to put the COVID vaccine in, but not sure you can mix an MRNA with the conventional flu shot.

Today my daughter got her second shot, so we are all three fully done. Let's hope it really works.

I'd rather not associate with the unvaccinated but I'm not going to be militant about it. The folks I know who oppose it are not people I am close to.

But I went out doing errands today..Meijer for grocery pickup, Home Depot for a new hose and some Preen, Aldi for some Park Street Deli hummus (the only store-bought hummus I like) and Home Goods to return this god-awful spring wreath My Favorite Redhead bought. Damn thing kept pricking my fingers whenever I had t move it around.

It was glorious to just mosey around to all these places. I didn't want to go home.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13520 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Yeah, I get my flu shot too. It would be fine to put the COVID vaccine in, but not sure you can mix an MRNA with the conventional flu shot.

Today my daughter got her second shot, so we are all three fully done. Let's hope it really works.

I'd rather not associate with the unvaccinated but I'm not going to be militant about it. The folks I know who oppose it are not people I am close to.

But I went out doing errands today..Meijer for grocery pickup, Home Depot for a new hose and some Preen, Aldi for some Park Street Deli hummus (the only store-bought hummus I like) and Home Goods to return this god-awful spring wreath My Favorite Redhead bought. Damn thing kept pricking my fingers whenever I had t move it around.

It was glorious to just mosey around to all these places. I didn't want to go home.

Are you home yet, or are you still moseying around?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I wouldn't be surprised to see COVID as part of the formulation for annual flu shots in the future.

I'm also A-OK with getting an annual flu shot. I know that folks like Cindy are not lining up to get flu shots, so I'm wondering if your view would change if it also contained anti-COVID stuff? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't agree with folks who don't take vaccines because they aren't sure they need it (especially COVID) or they aren't convinced of its safety. But I must admit it's a better argument in my eyes than people who don't take it because it causes autism or somehow infringes on their core sense of freedom (as they get drivers' licenses, pay taxes, use seat belts, etc.)

My 2c!

No, my view of flu shots has not changed because flu shots have not changed.

Regarding your question of whether I would submit to a flu shot if it were packaged with a coronavirus shot, my reaction would be that those sorts of manipulations done for other than legitimate medical reasons are part of the reason that some folks become vaccine suspicious or resistant.

In other words, if they find that the corona vaccine is somehow more effective when bundled with another vaccine, great. If they are just looking for a way to sneak vaccines into people who would otherwise decline them, I do not think that is a smart long term strategy to achieve vaccine acceptance.

I will also say that some of the manipulations that I have seen are very transparent. When Dr. Fauci was testifying before Congress
wearing a double mask after he was fully vaccinated and Rand Paul called him on it, it was not a good look. I thought that Fauci looked disingenuous because because the CDC changed its guidelines a couple of days later. So Fauci knew when he wore that double mask that it was in fact just theater and there was no scientific basis for it.

The difficulty, as I see it, is that the requirements of public health are different from what medical science sometimes tells us. That leads there to be public health recommendations that diverge from what is in science. The early advisory not to wear a mask is an example. I do not believe there was any scientific basis for saying people should not wear masks or early in the pandemic. The reason to make that statement was one of public health and The need to conserve N95 masks. But there was a cost in terms of credibility because people felt they were lied to, and they were.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
About combining COVID-19 vaccines with regular flu shots ... if that is feasible and effective, personally I would welcome the convenience and the logistical efficiency that this brings to the healthcare system on the whole.

It would not be the first time we take combo vaccines. The Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) combo has been commonplace for a long time.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12677 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Newer mRNA versions of the flu shot offer the possibility of much more effective flu vaccines. With mRNA mechanisms, labs won't have to guess which strain will be dominant six months into the future.

Only then will we likely see combined shots. But once that's in the serum, I would certainly prefer one jab to two.

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think I'm generally more tolerant of changing recommendations based on evolving scientific results, because I understand that is how science works. Cindy's point about the difference between theater and science is a good one, though I'm not sure I'd put it quite that way.

I agree, Fauci should have said, "Hey, we need to ensure our first responders have access to masks, so if you're not a first responder please stay home where masks aren't necessary, and leave the masks to them." Instead he may have said "masks aren't necessary." BUT I know how garbled these types of communications can become, so it's quite possible that Fauci's more lengthy nuanced commentary (which may have existed) on mask wearing was reported as "masks aren't necessary."

But I also think there's a tendency to go sideways when recommendations are revised, and that this tendency has huge political overtones. That's how we get to things like "Fauci LIED about masks."

Bottom line re the vaccinations: life is a risky business. Nothing is risk-free. Everyone will need to establish their own level of tolerance and make their own decisions. Unless you're relying on inaccurate information or spin (aka "LIES!!" Wink ), then everyone gets to make up their own mind. I get frustrated when people make decisions from carpy information, or lack of logic (e.g., "I'm not taking a vaccine because freedom, and also Fauci LIES.")

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No argument here, Nina.

In my case, I am annoyed that I was denied the opportunity to decide for myself which vaccine to take and When. So far, it sounds like they haven’t found problems with the one I took.

But there are areal questions with AZ and now JJ. That’s half of the emergency use vaccine approvals.

Deciding to wait until more is known is a reasonable choice, so I don’t like it when people who make a different risk calculation are sneered at.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:

Yes, we've been home since 3/5. I had to be back by then or miss my second shot.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:

Yes, we've been home since 3/5. I had to be back by then or miss my second shot.

Actually, I meant were you just not ready to go home from your day’s moseying!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Oh, silly me. Yep, I had been back home. Still it was nice to just get out and around and do mundane errands. It felt very...normal.