well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    41% of Republicans will not get vaccinated (PBS)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

41% of Republicans will not get vaccinated (PBS)
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
And the idea of requiring people to show their papers to go to a restaurant is kind of not going to happen. Let’s be realistic.

Actually it’s entirely realistic. We did it with smallpox.

Let me look fir the article.

I seriously hope this does happen. I am so fed up with the selfishness.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The people I know had reactions after Pfizer, Moderna, and JJ. They were all ages. My brother is sleeping off the JJ now.

This country is not the same as when smallpox was a thing. Back then, you marched off to war and took a shot when you were told.

Posts: 19751 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Also, if the vaccine requires a new shot every year, you have zero chance of getting forced compliance. Zero.

Posts: 19751 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I can see proof of vaccination being required to be allowed entrance to government buildings and a requirement for employment at a lot of companies.

Time will tell.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Consider that things may go the other direction.

Right now, everyone is freaked out about Covid, so vaccines are free and widely available.

Do you think vaccines will stay free and widely available? I don't. I think the initial funding will run out, and vaccines will no longer be free or accessible to everyone. Certain politicians (say, like DeSantis or Cruz) will start saying there's no need for government funding. Heck, DeSantis is such a moron that he might outlaw free Covid vaccines -- I wouldn't put it past him.

I say that because this is America, and we don't seem to feel any moral compunction to take care of poor people. Those who can afford a Covid vaccine will get it, and everyone else might be straight out of luck.

I think it is also possible that more and more people will stop caring about Covid over time. Trump thought that this might happen by November 2020, but he was wrong about that. But November 2022? I suspect people will have moved on and accepted that people die quite often in this country from firearms, accidents, and Covid, and that's just how it is.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
My arm is still sore two weeks later. I've taken to saying, "It feel better!; Thanks for asking." when people bring it up.

Posts: 24598 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I remember having a really sore arm for weeks after a tetanus shot I had many many years ago.

Steve passed along a hint about keeping the arm and shoulder moving on a regular basis to help the soreness post-shot. I did that with the COVID shot, and I think it helped.

Maybe do a couple of rounds of the Chicken Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslZqfnNJwY

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37647 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I had almost no soreness after the second shot (and the first shot kept me awake the first night because my arm was so sore). Second time, I massaged the area of the injection and moved my arm around for the entire 15 minutes I had to sit and wait after, then I went and swept the gallery floor for 45 minutes. I swear that made a huge difference.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20397 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I do the arm workout thing and gentle area massage after any shot I get...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7539 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I did a service call for a friend of my son. He’s in the business of merchandising and reconfiguring retail stores. He’s recently won a contract to reconfigure CVS stores to accommodate some 10 vaccination cubicles in each store. He told me CVS plans to reconfigure 3000 of their 10000 stores in the first phase. It’s a rush job - he’s hiring anyone willing to work the night shift.

They’re betting big on booster shots. Let’s see if they win that bet.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Also, if the vaccine requires a new shot every year, you have zero chance of getting forced compliance. Zero.

Depends on the will of the people. The vaccine may not be effective forever.

I don’t particularly want to share space with unvaccinated people and will patronize only establishments that require proof of vaccination. If the airlines won’t enforce compliance, I won’t fly. I don’t want to shop with these people, attend a sporting event or a worship service with any of them. As a contractor, I am fully within my rights to refuse to work on their - likely infectious - buildings. I daresay my insurance company will not allow it.

As you say, people have a right to refuse a simple, no cost vaccination.

But I have the right to shun.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duke University in North Carolina has announced that it will require students to have a COVID-19 vaccine when they return this fall. And the list of campuses with such policies is growing.

Rutgers University in New Jersey was the first, and since then more than a dozen residential colleges have followed. Notre Dame; two Ivy League schools, Brown and Cornell; and Northeastern University in Massachusetts are among those requiring the vaccine for fall. Cleveland State University will do so for all all students living on campus.

As vaccines become more widely available, it's likely that many more colleges will add their own mandates.

quote:
Colleges have long required vaccinations for infectious diseases. In a survey of about 100 four-year institutions representing all 50 states and Washington, D.C., nearly all required at least one vaccine for enrollment. The MMR vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps and rubella, was required at 87.5% of campuses surveyed.

"This is not new," explains Calcado. "We have a whole portal for uploading your vaccine history and all those types of things. So that's already in place. And actually, this one just adds another vaccine to what's in place today."

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37647 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Well I'm now on the clock. I had my first pfizer vac on Friday afternoon, had a sore arm for about 30 hours and now feel fine.

Hoping for the best for my second dose, and hoping those of us who are still getting vaccinated have a similarly easy time of it.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Duke University in North Carolina has announced that it will require students to have a COVID-19 vaccine when they return this fall. And the list of campuses with such policies is growing.

Rutgers University in New Jersey was the first, and since then more than a dozen residential colleges have followed. Notre Dame; two Ivy League schools, Brown and Cornell; and Northeastern University in Massachusetts are among those requiring the vaccine for fall. Cleveland State University will do so for all all students living on campus.

As vaccines become more widely available, it's likely that many more colleges will add their own mandates.

quote:
Colleges have long required vaccinations for infectious diseases. In a survey of about 100 four-year institutions representing all 50 states and Washington, D.C., nearly all required at least one vaccine for enrollment. The MMR vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps and rubella, was required at 87.5% of campuses surveyed.

"This is not new," explains Calcado. "We have a whole portal for uploading your vaccine history and all those types of things. So that's already in place. And actually, this one just adds another vaccine to what's in place today."

I had to provide proof of several vaccinations to register for Rutgers in 2012. Students planning to live in dorms had to get even more. This is not new. It's just prudent.

There is no way that my institution will require COVID vaccinations.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see COVID as part of the formulation for annual flu shots in the future.

I'm also A-OK with getting an annual flu shot. I know that folks like Cindy are not lining up to get flu shots, so I'm wondering if your view would change if it also contained anti-COVID stuff? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't agree with folks who don't take vaccines because they aren't sure they need it (especially COVID) or they aren't convinced of its safety. But I must admit it's a better argument in my eyes than people who don't take it because it causes autism or somehow infringes on their core sense of freedom (as they get drivers' licenses, pay taxes, use seat belts, etc.)

My 2c!

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post