well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'll never do that again
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll never do that again
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
In 2001 I put a 30 year roof on this house. I remember thinking it would be the last time I will ever have to do that.

As I grow closer to retirement I've started thinking about that more and more. In 1996 I received a box of 500 Exacto knife blades, which I use up at the rate of about 2 a year. I recently put new tires on the truck - the last I'll ever buy for that truck. I repainted all the exterior trim on the house - should last at least 5 years. I ordered new checks and I'll never use them up.

At some point I'll stop getting 2 year magazine subscriptions and then stop buying green bananas.

Have you ever considered the things you'll never need to buy again?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I do! I figure I have one more car in me.

When I remodeled my kitchen, I went with good finishes as I expect it will be my last.

And the house it getting siding in the next few weeks. Color is guaranteed for 15 years..so...

On the flip side, my 91 year old mother buys extended warranties on her newer appliances and until recently (like in the last 6 months) we finally convinced her she doesn't need to buy 5 year bank CDs. Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'd say the 30 year roof is an asset that is part of the value of the house so when you sell it and move somewhere else, you get that back in the sale price.

You should replace X-ACTO blades more often. Using a sharp new blade makes whatever you are doing easier, safer, and more enjoyable. Force yourself. Still, you probably have at least 20 years' worth. Otherwise, sell them to someone who cuts mats for picture frames. My photography prof in college insisted we had to change the blade in the mat cutter for every mat we cut. We were starving college kids and could barely afford the photographic paper and mat board.

I just put new tires on my primary motorcycle, then started seriously thinking about replacing it. I don't even remember the last time I rode. It may have been over a year ago. I'm with you there.

The problem with buying green bananas is that the entire bunch ripens all at once and we go from zero edible bananas to seven that will be ready for the compost heap in two days.

The problem with a lot of stuff, especially gardening supplies, is that they come in two quantities: a little less than you need for your current project, and a 20-year supply. And the huge 40 pound of bone meal costs about the same as the two small one pound boxes, so you might as will buy the big one. Same with nails, screws, washers, and stuff like that.

Costco has a huge box of instant oatmeal. It has 27 packets of maple flavor, 15 packets of apple and cinnamon, and 10 of cinnamon and spice. Guess what the most popular flavor in our house is.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I have a raincoat I bought 40 years ago. I still use it. It will be in the closet when I go as I'm not likely to wear it very often. I have a North Face coat I bought around 30 years ago when North Face was a premium product and it cost $500 back then. It will also likely be hanging in the closet when I go. I tried a replacement coat - but I got rid of that one as I always go to the NF coat. I have supplemented that coat with a couple of others though so it's not like I wear it as much as I used to.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
In 2018 I bought two new ties.

I will never need more than three ties ever again in my life. Far fewer than that after I retire.

I am looking at three containers of CD-Rs, two of them are unopened.

I have a handful of unopened cassette tapes, too.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine I'll ever ski again.

Years ago, a friend convinced me to jump off a waterfall, into a pool that, if you didn't swim HARD left, would take you over another waterfall. Not doing that again either.

I won't be having any more kids.

I cannot think of anything I would never need to buy again.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'll ever snow ski or water ski again, but I never had my own equipment for that.

I almost said that I'd never buy another piano, but I might need to downsize before I'm ready to stop playing, so I'm not sure.

I don't dress up very much, but I do go to the occasional formal-ish banquet and my feet are no longer up to stilettos. I can't see myself wearing grandma shoes, so I hope I have some lead time before I need to go to one of those things again. I'll be looking for shoes that hit the sweet spot between style and at least a tolerable level of comfort.

Other than that, my never-again purchases are more clustered around the fact that all three of my children are employed at jobs that enable them to be self-sufficient. My purchases for them are now not centered around life's necessities, so I can buy them things that I think would make them happy. It's a nice place to be.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I have to replace my sneakers every six months. It's the only make and model that fits me so they wear out fast, and once they quit supporting me well enough my neuropathy kicks in.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't imagine I'll ever ski again.

That time will come, I'm sure. I just hope I can hang in there till 70. The Santa Fe ski area is free for geezers. Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I believe this John Deere and most likely this house, will be my last. I don't want to move or downsize. I like my space.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I think I totally missed the original point of this thread.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I'll never need to buy peanut butter again (and a few other shelf stable foodstuffs) .

Gradually seeing shelf space on the paper products storage area, though.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I think I totally missed the original point of this thread.

The point is simple. As I reach retirement age I realize how many things I won’t need any more.

I own a pair of Sorel insulated water proof boots. I’m finally going to get to use them. I’ll never wear them out.

Crossed them off as a budget item.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I have to replace my sneakers every six months. It's the only make and model that fits me so they wear out fast, and once they quit supporting me well enough my neuropathy kicks in.

I’d worry that my favorite make/model would be discontinued. Maybe you should stock up with enough for several years? (My favorite bra was discontinued 5 years ago and I’m still not over it.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
I'll never need to buy peanut butter again (and a few other shelf stable foodstuffs) .

Gradually seeing shelf space on the paper products storage area, though.

I thought I’d never need peanut butter again, but then I started making these peanut butter cookies. No flour. So delicious, especially if I add chocolate chips. Recipe here

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post