well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Calling Dr. House! I lost 36 hours or so of my life, and nobody knows where they went
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Dr. House! I lost 36 hours or so of my life, and nobody knows where they went
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I woke up on the wrong day (among other things, causing me to miss my colonoscopy and upper endoscopy). I felt just fine when I woke up (not even the slight headache I usually have - sleep apnea??).

What a SHOCK to discover upon checking the time on my cellphone that it was not only much later than I thought possible, but the wrong day!

I did as much research as I could (last phone calls, emails etc.) but I still don't know what happened, nor does the ER doc. Doesn't seem to have been my heart, brain, or even something called "transient global amnesia". So what was it? My head CT scan, EKG, neck Xray (I DID have a sore neck and sore left hip, lower back when I woke up), and blood work were all normal. (In fact, my slightly elevated liver enzymes are now fine) , and nobody knows what caused it.

The whole time I was in the ER my AFIB was pretty rocky (and very tachycardic) but about what it's been lately so the ER doc says if that's so then he can't attribute the lost time to that. I'm concerned that my blood work shows about twice the upper limit of "Total Creatine Kinase" (enzymes which show muscle damage - cardiac or striated muscle), but doc didn't say anything was amiss).

Besides, my "triponin I" was normal (a basic screening for heart damage). I didn't ask him about these tests in the ER as I didn't know about them until I checked my blood work after I was home (via hospital's patient portal). I'll ask my cardio about it when I see him tomorrow. But whoever heard of a heart attack knocking someone out for such a long time? (And there was no pain anyhow). Neither head nor chest pain, and CT scan showed no sign of head trauma - nor of stroke or seizure.

Note, it IS somewhat on my mind that my brother died in his sleep almost exactly a year ago. We three siblings all have an inherited cardiac disorder (lipids mostly, but other cardiac issues too), No autopsy was done, so there's just an assumption that he had a heart attack, but I'm wondering if he mightn't have had a stroke that just zapped him suddenly by a clot that travelled not to his heart but his brain (happened to my neighbor's son - he was gone within a minute, according to his care-giver). I was struck by brother's wife stressing he looking completely peaceful, when she found him in the morning. In other words, it didn't look like he'd been in the severe pain I have always heard accompanies heart attacks.

OK, that's it for now. It's quite the mystery to me and my sons, as my symptoms (rather, lack thereof) don't fit any known syndrome. ER doc says he can only figure I must have accidentally taken double my bedtime sleep meds, (that's a diagnosis by default because nothing else fits , not because it's really satisfactory.) I certainly don't think so . Never did before and besides it's not that that strong! My extensive googling has led to NOTHING ("Sleeping Beauty Syndrome"? - seriously, there is such a thing - not that it suits. )

I'll add that my bedclothes and clothing were in great disarray, and all I remember of that missing period is having felt quite cold - as if I were reaching unsuccessfully for my covers.

I feel just fine now - not counting, being baffled. But...but, but...What could it be? GI procedures were cancelled for now (though, the GI office almost put it through even without an explanation! Mad) Besides, I slept through the whole ghastly prep period!

This is even worse than my exploding toilet! (Note, there IS such a thing as "exploding head syndrome" - during sleep! Eeker)

????????????????

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
PS FWIW QUORA is full of people who claim to have slept as much or more (or almost as much. Some frequently.). No, I didn't ask them - I just see all the people who describe it. On medical sites, there are anecdotal stories about people who've had rare long sleeping experiences (but none in a pattern). One little boy slept for two weeks, and after he woke up he was fine for the rest of his life.

Heh! Talk about being WOKE!?!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well that's a pretty mystery. If you had OD'd on sleeping meds wouldn't you have been fuzzy-headed upon awakening ... if you woke at all?

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Amanda, is this what's called, "amnesia"? How very interesting.

I'm glad you were able to get medical care right away.

Dr. House is dreamy.

Posts: 24713 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Alien abduction.

Or space-time anomaly, you crossed a wrinkle in time.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's terrifying, Amanda, but I'm glad things are better now. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Amanda, that's terrifying!!

You didn't get the corona virus recently did you? A friend of my had TGA for about 8 hours after her #2 shot.

Anyway, I hope you are getting good care and that whatever happened is a one-off!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Alien abduction.

Or space-time anomaly, you crossed a wrinkle in time.

I was just telling Mrs. Mark that I would love to see a true extraterrestrial invasion of earth before I die. I want the advanced beings of the universe to technologically and without violence, transform the human species into being nice to each other and to put all of this "Us and Them" BS behind us.

I hope that it is nothing serious Amanda.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Related to colonoscopy prep?

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Well, that's creepy! I remember a similar (but not as long) situation when I was ending my first year in grad school. I went home around 3pm to "take a nap." The next thing I knew my phone was ringing off the hook because my office mate said that a student was in my office ready to take a (rescheduled) final. It was daylight, and I just assumed I had napped for about an hour and was totally confused.

Turns out it was around noon the next day! So I don't think it's impossible that you slept around the clock, maybe.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It is scary.

Many years ago, on my way home from China, I got pretty severe food poisoning on the airplane. When I got home I fell into bed and didn't move for three days. But they didn't go completely *poof*, I was vaguely aware that I was alive. I do remember getting up and looking out the window and seeing trees and wondering if I was home... "do I live somewhere with trees?"

I couple years ago I got a dizzy spell that lasted three or four days. I had tried some earbuds in a store (never ever do that). The next morning I got up to go to work and couldn't find my coffee cup. After a prolonged search, I got another one and started to put it in the microwave... there, in the microwave was my coffee cup, hot. I had absolutely zero recollection of doing that. After three days of this, I went to urgent care. They think I had vertigo.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
It is scary.

Many years ago, on my way home from China, I got pretty severe food poisoning on the airplane. When I got home I fell into bed and didn't move for three days. But they didn't go completely *poof*, I was vaguely aware that I was alive. I do remember getting up and looking out the window and seeing trees and wondering if I was home... "do I live somewhere with trees?"

I couple years ago I got a dizzy spell that lasted three or four days. I had tried some earbuds in a store (never ever do that). The next morning I got up to go to work and couldn't find my coffee cup. After a prolonged search, I got another one and started to put it in the microwave... there, in the microwave was my coffee cup, hot. I had absolutely zero recollection of doing that. After three days of this, I went to urgent care. They think I had vertigo.

Vertigo is not a disease. It is a symptom. I have had Benign positional vertigo several times.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Vertigo is not a disease. It is a symptom. I have had Benign positional vertigo several times.

Jf
Do you do the kneeling-head turning thing to clear it?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Rip Van Amana
Glad it was not for 20 years.
Hope you are well now.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Were you taking any new medication?

I took Ambien briefly. One morning, I woke up to discover that Muffin's Sister was in the hospital and that her husband had called to tell me. I'd called my son's house and spoken to my daughter-in-law without ever telling her that her husband's sister was in the hospital. And perhaps I did other things. I don't know, but I went back to bed and woke up with no memory of what I'd done in the night.

I didn't have the excessive sleep symptom that you did, in that I slept no more than an extra couple of hours, but I have never recovered my memory of that night. I've never taken another Ambien.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post