well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Reminds me a bit of us
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminds me a bit of us
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
I think when any group of people share one common interest, there is generally a lot more about them that resonates:

Flight of the Spelling Bee Player https://nyti.ms/3zQgeSq

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That story resonates with me. I've met dozens of WTF and TNCER members at many locations across the country. Some have been passing through western PA, some have been at piano parties I've attended, and some have been in places I was passing through myself.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Is the spelling bee the puzzle with the letters in a hexagon? I do try my hand with that every week. I always think I should score better than I do.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Is the spelling bee the puzzle with the letters in a hexagon? I do try my hand with that every week. I always think I should score better than I do.

I find it hard. I never know when I've found enough words. Maybe I just don't understand how it's played.

I enjoy vertex and the new game where you have to use all the letters around the square with just four words.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I play every day and get genius about once a week. Gotta start early and come back to it often.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I play every day and get genius about once a week. Gotta start early and come back to it often.
Yes, it is so helpful to take a break and come back refreshed!

I find it annoying when I deny myself what looks like a proper noun or foreign-based word and then look at their solutions and see they allowed it!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I find my Spelling Bee activity tends to come in waves. I'll get on a roll and get a bunch of words in a rush, then it's like I'm stuck in that spelling pattern and need to step away. Like Cindy and RP say, coming back after a break helps a lot.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Yes, it is so helpful to take a break and come back refreshed!

I find it annoying when I deny myself what looks like a proper noun or foreign-based word and then look at their solutions and see they allowed it!

Where do you find the solutions?

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Solutions printed in a block of small type on a previous or succeeding page….upside-down!

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Am I the only person playing the online version?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
You all have me checking out new puzzles to play! I find the spelling bee one harder because you get to use letters twice. I’ve loved the daily mini crossword for awhile, I’m not very good at crosswords, but that one is fun.
And yes, I do them online, on my iPad.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I play Spelling Bee and Letter Boxed online. Letter Boxed is faster!

I finally figured out that there’s a “yesterday” button at the top of Spelling Bee, which gives the pangram and all the words I missed.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Tried Spelling Bee. That is great.
Have a subscription to the Washington Post. I am looking at the puzzles there before I subscribe to the Times games.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I play online!

You can find the previous days word list online where it says "yesterday"

Also, for the current day, you can click on the light gray square in the upper right (the last square or notch along the line that shows your score) and it will show you how many points are needed to get to Genius. It doesn't show you the total number of possible words or total possible points, but I like looking at the minimum score needed for Genius points, sometimes that's enough to keep me going when I see I'm really close.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18508 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

I play online!

You can find the previous days word list online where it says "yesterday"

Also, for the current day, you can click on the light gray square in the upper right (the last square or notch along the line that shows your score) and it will show you how many points are needed to get to Genius. It doesn't show you the total number of possible words or total possible points, but I like looking at the minimum score needed for Genius points, sometimes that's enough to keep me going when I see I'm really close.

I aim for Genius; that’s good enough for me. And I only get there about once a week. I can’t see trying for Queen Bee; I’ve got stuff to do!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post