well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Jackfruit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jackfruit
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Have you tried this stuff? Mind blowing.

Never mind the vegan, sustainable, green thing, Jackfruit is delicious! Whole Foods is selling it in little packages so you don’t have to buy the whole 20 pound deal. It a bit like tofu in that it has little flavor on its own and picks up whatever flavor you cook it with. The stuff I tried had the texture of cooked mushrooms and tasted like what they might put on your steak at a fine restaurant. The restaurant where I tried it also makes fries out of it.

Check it out!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26510 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Yup, I had a pulled BBQ "pork" sandwhich about a month ago that was not pork but jackfruit. Incredibly good. If I hadn't known it was jackfruit I would not have surmised it wasn't really pulled pork.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9946 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about the same jackfruit?

If so, I love it! I never cook with it. Occasionally I eat jackfruit that's battered and fried (like "battered and fried banana/plantain"). But most of the time I much prefer to eat jackfruit like I eat most other fruits -- fresh, at the right level of ripeness, uncooked, and pretty much on its own. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yes, that’s it. I did not know it could be eaten raw.

Most recipes use it for a meat substitute.

Posts: 26510 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that there are two parts to the insides - the yellow fruit part that is around the seed (and is sweet), and the stringy white stuff inbetween that fruit part - that I think it being used as a meat substitute? One video I saw cut the jackfruit before it was ripe (so everything inside is white) and that’s what they steamed to eat - wondering if when it is used a meat substitute, it is cut and processed before it ripens?

Smiler Jodi
http://todayatmydesk.weebly.com

Posts: 18020 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
That white stringy part oozes something like latex. I think they are cooking the yellow fruit but I have not seen a video.

This is from a recipe for 'pulled pork'
Before cutting into jackfruit, coat your knife with coconut oil. If jackfruit is fully ripened it won't be as sticky. Typically most are picked before fully ripe and juice inside tends to be extremely sticky.

2 Cut jackfruit in half, then again into quarters. Begin to pull pieces of yellow or orange flesh apart, discarding seeds and any white stringy pieces. Collect yellow meat in a bowl and set aside. An 8 to 10 lb. jackfruit will yield 2 to 4 cups of edible fruit.

and elsewhere:

Jackfruit as meat substitute
When cooked, the flesh has a shredded, meaty texture. Ripe jackfruit can be eaten raw or cooked, but the stringy, green, unripe jackfruit is most useful for interesting meat substitute recipe

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2580 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There are Sri Lankan restaurants locally that serve it in their dishes. When I first tasted it in a vegetarian dish, I thought, whoa, they put meat in here! It is that close to the taste and texture of meat.

So, I do like it but have not attempted to cook with it. The Sri Lankan grocery has big, fresh jackfruit but it looks intimidating! If I go to the health-food store they have it in ready-to-cook form, much too expensive I'm sure.

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Posts: 11675 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I read where the trees can grow to 80 ft. high and the largest single fruit ever recorded weighed in at 140 pounds!

One story I read said that if you have a jackfruit tree in your yard you can feed a large family indefinitely on just the fruit from that tree.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
It looks to me that there are two parts to the insides - the yellow fruit part that is around the seed (and is sweet), and the stringy white stuff inbetween that fruit part - that I think it being used as a meat substitute? One video I saw cut the jackfruit before it was ripe (so everything inside is white) and that’s what they steamed to eat - wondering if when it is used a meat substitute, it is cut and processed before it ripens?
Ah, I see. I have never eaten the "white stuff" in between the yellow fruit parts. I only eat the yellow fruit part. Will be looking for opportunity to try the "white stuff" as meat substitute. Thanks! Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised it's not more popular. It certainly looks sustainable.

Minor Deity
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Ah, I see. I have never eaten the "white stuff" in between the yellow fruit parts. I only eat the yellow fruit part. Will be looking for opportunity to try the "white stuff" as meat substitute. Thanks! Smiler

Nope, I’m wrong (piq pointed it out above) - it’s not the stringy stuff they use - it’s the unripe fruit - it shreds when it’s not ripe.

Jackfruit is a large fruit indigenous to tropical regions in Asia. When fully ripened, it has a pale to deep yellow color and the taste is comparable to mango or even bubblegum. However, when not ripe, it’s easily shreddable, not sweet, and its texture is comparable to shredded meat.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org...itute-bloggers-show/

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
This is cool. Apparently the stringy white stuff is also edible. and the seeds. Now I have to find some - I want to try it!

https://youtu.be/GOLSrtQEsg8

Smiler Jodi

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The jackfruit for sale at the Sri Lankan grocery didn't look like the one in the video; more like firm flesh (like pumpkin) and distinct large hard seeds. Perhaps there are different varieties.

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Posts: 11675 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Yeah ok I tried it years ago when we lived in Singapore. Fresh fruit. Sue and I rated it the second most disgusting fruit we’d ever eaten. (Durian holds the number one spot. )

We’ve never tried it again, and even your glowing recommendations aren’t likely to induce me.

In a word, yuck!

Posts: 1171 | Location: London | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Sorry, doesn't look or sound appealing to me...

Yuck

Then again it took me to become an adult to try a mushroom. Now I collect chicken in the woods!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 15181 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post