well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Deception By Progressives Helped Doug Jones Win

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deception By Progressives Helped Doug Jones Win
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
BS.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
BS.

And you say that based on what?

Did you even bother to read the article? The guy admitted doing it. He also said that he thought it was wrong and shouldn't be allowed, but, as long as the Republicans are doing it, progressives can't unilaterally disarm.

quote:
Matt Osborne, a veteran progressive activist who worked on the project, said he hoped that such deceptive tactics would someday be banned from American politics. But in the meantime, he said, he believes that Republicans are using such trickery and that Democrats cannot unilaterally give it up.

“If you don’t do it, you’re fighting with one hand tied behind your back,” said Mr. Osborne, a writer and consultant who lives outside Florence, Ala. “You have a moral imperative to do this — to do whatever it takes.”

It certainly seems as if you didn't read the article, and that you just reacted based on preconceptions. If the guy admitted it, how is it possible that it's BS?

Reacting based on preconceptions is what we object to when conservatives do it. If we do the same, exactly how are we better, analytically?

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This brings up several slippery-slope issues. First, the pro-Trump conservative wing has been using this at least since 2016, and their activities are well known. There is some reasonable research to indicate that the Russian fake Facebook accounts may have played a decisive role in Trump's win. Since it's not illegal (yet), are the Dems being principled to avoid these tactics, even if it costs them key elections and the other side is doing it? Or is this a smart, feisty response?

Second, the article itself is full of innuendo (not unlike the fake Dry Alabama post). There is no indication that this was a key factor in swinging the race toward Doug Jones. For that matter, there's also no indication that it wasn't.

The most depressing outcome for me is how broken our electoral system is, and the need for significant reforms, starting with limits to spending and limits to the time one can campaign. But that will never happen. So here we are.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Let’s be better than the GOP on this. Let’s show the ability to separate the issue of manipulation from the question of legitimacy of the electoral victory.

Getting defensive is a direct result of conflating the two.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Nice Guys Finish Last- Green Day

Nice guys finish last
You're running out of gas
Your sympathy will get you left behind
Sometimes you're at your best
When you feel the worst
You feel washed up like piss gone down the drain
Pressure cooker pick my brain and tell me I'm insane
I'm so ******* happy I could cry
Every joke can have its truth but now the joke's on you
I never knew you're such a funny guy
Oh nice guys finish last
When you are the outcast
Don't pat yourself on the back
You might break your spine
Living on command
You're shaking lots of hands
You're kissing up and bleeding all your trust
Taking what you need
Bite the hand that feeds
You lose your memory and you've got no shame
Pressure cooker pick my brain and tell me I'm insane
I'm so ******* happy I could cry
Every joke can have its truth but now the joke's on you
I never knew you're such a funny guy
Oh nice guys finish last
When you are the outcast
Oh nice guys finish last
When you are the outcast
Oh nice guys finish last
When you are the outcast
Oh nice guys finish last
When you are the outcast

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post