well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP Birch Bayh

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Birch Bayh
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Former Sen. Birch Bayh of Indiana, an accomplished legislator who left his imprint on the U.S. Constitution and the world of sports, has died.

Bayh, who was also the father of another senator, was 91.

During his three terms in the Senate, the Indiana Democrat was one of the main architects of the 25th and 26th amendments to the Constitution, as well as the unsuccessful Equal Rights Amendment. "Senator Bayh has the distinct honor of being the only American since the Founders to draft multiple amendments to the Constitution," the Fordham Law Review said in 2011.

He was also co-author of Title IX, a 1972 education amendment that required colleges to end quotas for women in higher education; it gave women equal opportunity to participate in sports, vastly altering the landscape of college, professional and Olympic athletics. He also once pulled Sen. Ted Kennedy to safety from a crashed plane.

“Birch had a knack for identifying major themes and taking action,“ Fred Nation, his former press secretary, said.

https://www.politico.com/story...ndiana-senate-239688

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow. Didn’t realize he was still alive.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That's one of the problems with retiring. People forget about you ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Title IX earned him a place in history, for sure.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
That's one of the problems with retiring. People forget about you ...

You’re telling me? Big Grin

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Hey, I haven't retired yet! But I'm sure thinking about it!

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
We won’t forget you.