well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dual Citizenship?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dual Citizenship?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
I had explored it before as a lark..something fun..a project.

But now, more then ever, I feel that it may help me move around the world a bit more easily.

I have started the process for Irish citizenship which would mean I would be a member of the EU.

What about you..do you have dual citizenship? Do you carry two passports? Do you see an advantage or other perks in doing so?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
How long do you think the process might take?

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think I qualify for Lithuanian citizenship, but I don't know what value it might have. Probably not much.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
How long do you think the process might take?

They say 9-12 months...That is just for my 'foreign birth" status...Once that is done, I can apply for a passport.

My young colleague is from Italy and works in our Dublin office..I, of an older generation, didn't really pay attention until he told me how he came to Ireland (and spoke such great Irish accented English!)...

So I am one document away from filing my application. Smiler (I have to visit the registry with my birth certificate to prove my Mom is my Mom. My Mom is still living and she is under 100 years old as per the rules!!) She is 90 just sayin'

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My son is in the process of obtaining PR in Canada, which is the first step in the process. I'm not sure if he'll pursue dual citizenship, but he's talked about it.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How does dual citizenship affect taxes?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
As a US citizen, you have to report any income on your US taxes. I believe treaties determine whether the non-US income tax is taxed in the USA. I know that there is no double-taxation between USA and Canada. As a US citizen, you pay US taxes on US income, you receive some sort of credit in Canada (and presumably the reverse) when you file your Canadian taxes. I think. suave There's a reason why we have a tax prep service in Canada.....

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
As a US citizen, you have to report any income on your US taxes. I believe treaties determine whether the non-US income tax is taxed in the USA. I know that there is no double-taxation between USA and Canada. As a US citizen, you pay US taxes on US income, you receive some sort of credit in Canada (and presumably the reverse) when you file your Canadian taxes. I think. suave There's a reason why we have a tax prep service in Canada.....

So here’s what ends up happening when you are a PR in Canada and work in the US. You pay your US taxes and tell Canada on your form that you have. Canada asks you to provide a Notice of Assessment to prove you actually paid what you said you did. The US provides no such thing. You call the IRS a gazillion times to try to get some sort of evidence that you actually paid. Eventually they send you the wrong paper. But you don’t know it’s the wrong paper, so you send it to Revenue Canada. They begin the collections process because you haven’t proven that you’ve paid. You talk to a human there and they stop the collections process. You make a bazillion more phone calls to the IRS. You get the right piece of paper and send it to Revenue Canada. By this time it is the next tax year so you start the process all over again.

For the record, the US puts people through the same thing for the reverse scenario. The difference is that Canada sends you a Notice of Assessment as soon as you file (within a month) so it’s easier to prove you’ve paid it.

This year Rob was a PR in Canada and worked in Canada. It was easier to deal with (though annoying to have to file in the US). And of course we are still dealing with the “prove it” process for the previous tax year so they are holding back his sizeable refund until it’s sorted. Roll Eyes

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I have dual Israeli-US citizenship, but if I move back there for even one fiscal year the tax consequences could be awful - and if I died there, the inheritance consequences (if there's anything left) would really screw my sons.

At least, I doubt I'd be subject to the draft! Wink

Note, that for a number of years my older son had three citizenships: Israeli (where he was born), US (c/o me) and Turkish (c/o his father).

Luckily for him, he aged out of the last but I think he needs a new Israeli passport picture as he no longer looks like the cute toddler he appears as. Reminds me (ex-husband snark) of his passport as I saw it at the university where we met.

The photo was roughly up to date, but I got a kick out of seeing "Profession: CHILD". (Should have paid more attention! Big Grin)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I think I qualify for Lithuanian citizenship, but I don't know what value it might have. Probably not much.

You'd have EU citizenship. Seems worthwhile to me.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canada asks you to provide a Notice of Assessment to prove you actually paid what you said you did. The US provides no such thing.
I ma curious about this ...

What is the US/IRS' equivalent for what the Canadian call "Notice of Assessment"?

Is there a specific term or a specific form number you can use when requesting documentation from the IRS that would lead the IRS to send you the right paperwork?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Canada asks you to provide a Notice of Assessment to prove you actually paid what you said you did. The US provides no such thing.
I ma curious about this ...

What is the US/IRS' equivalent for what the Canadian call "Notice of Assessment"?

Is there a specific term or a specific form number you can use when requesting documentation from the IRS that would lead the IRS to send you the right paperwork?

There is an online form you can submit to get a statement of account. It doesn’t have the same level of info that the NOA does (it’s a summary of your return), but it does include what you paid. When we first needed the statement it was a phone call to a human being (in other words, hours of hold time). The online request form is more recent.

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dol! I'd forgotten that Rob isn't Canadian. That's good info to know. We've given our son a "gift" of one year of Canadian tax prep (since this is his first year as a full-time, Canadian earner ThumbsUp ). His college fund still earns money here in the USA, so the goal is that he can learn how to do the Canada one on his own (after this year), and I'll deal with his USA return (which is pretty simple at this point).

I'll tell him to go online for his NOA.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I could claim Irish citizenship through my native-born grandmother. Finding her birth certificate, however, might be a bit of a challenge.

I don't know the logistics of the process. I'm sure it takes $$$ and lots of time.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Thanks, Dol! I'd forgotten that Rob isn't Canadian. That's good info to know. We've given our son a "gift" of one year of Canadian tax prep (since this is his first year as a full-time, Canadian earner ThumbsUp ). His college fund still earns money here in the USA, so the goal is that he can learn how to do the Canada one on his own (after this year), and I'll deal with his USA return (which is pretty simple at this point).

I'll tell him to go online for his NOA.

Canada’s forms are really easy compared to the US!