well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Something to think about

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something to think about
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
How odd is it that ‘Latino’ doesn’t include Italians?

Imagine if ‘Teutonic’ or ‘Germanic’ didn’t include Germans. Or, perhaps a better analogy, ‘Anglos’ didn’t include the English.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sent your question to an Italian. Maybe he will know.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
An answer or two.

Once heard the rant of a Spanish language teacher who was mad because someone included non-Spanish language countries under the Latin America label.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
No answer is sought. The etymology is clear enough (it’s basically short for “latinoamericano’).

It’s the odd state of the outcome that I’m asking people to reflect on.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post