well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amazon splits ‘HQ2’ / Arlington and NYC
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon splits ‘HQ2’ / Arlington and NYC
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
A Better Way to Attract Amazon’s Jobs
https://nyti.ms/2EdNNDj

The above compares Virginia’s deal with New York’s deal for Amazon.com.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It’s disingenuous to compare the subsidies, most of which are tax rebates, without also mentioning the respective tax rates of the two locales. It’s rather like saying Barney’s gave me $20 off a white t-shirt while Old Navy only discounted it by $5 so Barney’s is being too generous. The full context requires knowledge of the list prices at the two stores.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 12531 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I haven't followed the news in a fortnight.

I'm not sorry about it.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Well, the NY Times ran a lot of opinion pieces and letters to the editor today, and it's about 50/50 between "Amazon blew it" and "NYC blew it."

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
The ones they chose to publish were 50/50.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12531 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Well then.

It seems in AOC we have a cultural pivot.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How so?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
How so?

I think you will read and try to understand the point of view of the person who I think probably is right with me. This is the eternal question.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Horace - AOC really didn’t have a role in this, except maybe indirectly as cheerleader.

The name of the individual who decided to kill the deal (oddly not mentioned in the piece) is Andrea Stewart-Cousins. She is the Senate leader and it was her role to appoint a senator to the board that would approve this or not. She choose the most vocal opponent of the deal to sit on the board.

I have the privilege to vote against her next time she’s up, and to convince as many neighbors as I can to do the same. Of course, that and $2.50 will get you anywhere you need to go on the subway. But it will feel good to cast that vote.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Well written piece, by the way, and every word of it is true.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Which one? I found myself nodding along to the budget director’s statement.

Posts: 45740 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Which one? I found myself nodding along to the budget director’s statement.

As did I. Of course that's why I posted it ... Big Grin

BTW, the letter is one of the most candid things I have read on a government website. Those New Yorkers don't pull punches! Smiler